ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Newbie Cap question....

3/26/2003 5:31 PM
Mike S
email
Newbie Cap question....
Hey guys!  

I've been looking for a way to get my feet wet in amp tweaking for a long time, and I finally did it. I snagged a used Peavey Classic 30 off of ebay super cheap. Last night I took it apart and started doing some of the infamous Steve Ahola mods(tone stack, FVM input, and OD tweaks).  

I live in Phoenix, so I picked up parts from Antique Electronic Supply. Steve recommends the SBE418P Orange Drops, but they didn't have these in stock. I went with the SBE715s(600v polypropylene). Is this a suitable substition? I was shocked at the difference in size between the the stock cap and the orange drop. The stock cap has less than a 1mm diameter and the orange drop is almost an inch long and a 1/4" thick. I guess that is where they keep the tone. :)  

The good news is after I did the mods everything worked(!) and the amp sounded waaaaay better. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the change was pretty dynamic considering I only changed 10 or so components. I used the values Steve recommended, but if anyone around here has other values they like I'd love to hear suggestions. I'd also love to hear about any other modifications people have done to this amp(outside of Steve's ample collection).  

Thanks!  

Mike

Page 1 of 1