ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

cheap transformers

3/24/2004 7:23 PM
gtrboy
email
cheap transformers
this guy says he has 650 of these. what do you think of the quality?  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3806013225&category=4665  

gtrboy

3/24/2004 7:22 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

I would say there is NO way to know much from the description supplied so who knows if they are any good.  
However, they do look like an honest 30 watt OT.  
The Schumacher company name is good and from the assembly dates provided, they were made before Schumacher went super cheap ass and sent everything to Mexico and/or Asia for construction.  
So for around $30.00 I'd take a chance and see how they sound in an amp.  
Bruce

3/24/2004 7:39 PM
gtrboy
email

i bought it. what the heck? its only $40 or so after shipping. im going to use it in my crate vintage 30 mods. i find the transformers in this amp to be lacking. 4,000ohms should work with 4 el84's, right?  

thanks,  

gtrboy

3/25/2004 4:34 AM
philip ruetz
email

I bought one of these a week or so ago, and they shipped it very promptly. The one I received looks just like the photo. It's the same size and weight as a 50 watt Mercury Mag. output I've got sitting on my bench. One of the mounting ears has the following (apparently Schumacher) nos. stamped on it: "A495 D" and "EIA606-021".  

I emailed the seller a week ago to ask them if they had any additional info on the tranny: what kind of amp it was designed for, etc. but haven't heard back from them. They never returned my ebay feedback, either.  

Unfortunately, I won't be able to drop this into an amp and play around with it until this summer, so I can't report how it sounds.  

HTH,  

philip ruetz  
http://www.diyguitaramp.com

3/30/2004 3:34 PM
dave nix
I got one shipped to me last week and the seller responded to a followup email request for a better scan of the mechanical drawing/spec sheet, so if you need that I can email it to you.  

However, the diagram only specifies that it uses "standard color coding of the wires" but doesnt specify what that is... Short of just running a test voltage and measuring, is there any "standard colors" that match this? The output side is black, yellow, green/yellow, green.  

The plate side is pretty standard, so I'm not worried about it... (fyi, brown, red, blue).  

Thanks

3/25/2004 1:42 PM
Dave Rich
What kind of mods are you doing to your Vintage 30? I'm not ashamed to admit I own two of them.

3/25/2004 6:48 PM
jeremy
email

hurry hurry. try one out. I might wanna grab one myself.  

jeremy

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>