ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

London Power pre/power amp

1/31/2004 7:50 PM
wayneosdias
email
London Power pre/power amp
Anyone build these? I just got the Tonnes of Tunes and im itching to do the true PTP/minimilist approach, only thing is i have no idea of how they sound, any ideas?  

also for those that have done these circuits did you devide the circiuts or put them together in 1 chassis?  

wayne

2/1/2004 1:39 AM
Mark Lavelle
email

I did mine (the "Tonerator I") with PTP in the power amp (pretty close to Kevin's layout) and a circuit card in a seperate chassis for the preamp. My preamp layout squeals if the gain channel is too high, but I never play with that much gain, anyway...  

More info (including a tune recorded with the Tonerator) on my site:  
http://www.harmonicappliances.com/tonerator1/t1descript.html

2/1/2004 5:24 AM
wayneosdias
Thanks Mark  

Im finishing a bassman right now, my 9th board type circuit. I cant help but think they'd be a little quieter ptp w/o all the excessice wire/turret material, ill probably do the london amp after. ps I like your clip, nice playing.  

wayne

2/2/2004 1:19 AM
Mark Lavelle
Thanks!  

IME & IMHO, PTP has just as much potential for noise...

2/2/2004 2:33 PM
Wild Bill
email

"Potential for noise..." quite true, but at least with PTP it's a lot less PITA to do something about it! :)  

---Wild Bill

2/3/2004 2:23 AM
Pat F
I built the pre-amp as in his book, added a Fender style reverb (with a 6AQ5 driver), a relay DPDT for remote channel switching, and packed it in a double spaced spaced (3.5") rackmount unit. It sounds pretty good, no noise or squealing. Similar to a Boogie Mark II with a surfin reverb. I was jamming with a guy a few years ago and he asked if he could buy it, but I wasn't selling. It took a little creative engineer to fit it into the rack box and build it PTP, but I managed it. I can take some pics and send them it you'd like. Always meant to put them up on the homebrew link, but never got around to it.

2/3/2004 1:38 AM
wayneosdias
Pat, please do post the pics, I'd really dig to see how you incorporated the reverb. I have a bunch of salvaged chassis's from old projects so i can bench it and then couple it w/the power and effect stage when i get it right.  

Thanks  
wayne

Page 1 of 1