ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Wurlitzer Model 920 Auxiliary Amp

:
10/25/2003 10:44 PM
Brad1
Wurlitzer Model 920 Auxiliary Amp
Just picked up this funky critter for $10 at the ARC (it's 1/2 off day).  
In good shape despite the ugly cab styling. It has 2 6L6's, 3 6SL7's, and a 5U4 rectifier. It has an instrument and a mic input, with volume for each, and a bass and treble. It also has a seperate little box with about an 8 foot, 8-pin umbilical and a 1/4" plug on about a 2 foot cable, with a "Piano Volume" knob, and Fast/Med/Slow and Soft/Off/Full switches. (Tremelo/Choral?something...can't be a Leslie). Speaker is a 1959?(220944) Jensen P12N, with a 4" diameter by 2" deep cylindrical magnet. Hums a little (gonna recap), tubes are good...(though it doesn't seem like two 6L6's loud)..the thing sounds spanky and round, with some good saturation dimed with a Tele through it. The amp is side mounted left, with controls recessed through a cutout in the top of the cab. Anyway, anyone know anything about the amp...specifically, what exactly the little box does? (Wonder if I could plug a guitar or old RMI keyboard into it?) Can find absolutely zilch on the web.  
Thanks,  
Brad

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

10/26/2003 2:26 AM
Carl Gigun

What's the ARC Brad? A friend just asked me to help him put together some stuff for keyboards and a $10 amp sure would be a great start! ;)  

-Carl Gigun

10/26/2003 11:41 AM
Brad1

Association for Retarded Citizens (not very "PC" sounding name). It's like Salvation Army or Goodwill where people drop off their discards for charitable contributions, except they don't price outrageously for junk. I've dragged 2 Hammond M3's and a Hammond A3 out of there for a total of $140...all working. I got a little Univox tube amp for $15 that has a killer early Stones crunch when it's cranked. $5 for a Supro Bantam. $5 for an S.A.E. Impulse Noise Reduction Unit. It's close by, so I visit often. Can't tell you how many old cheezy Wurlitzers, Lowereys and such I've seen pass through.  
I also frequent pawn shops, flea markets, certain "antique" stores, and yard sales. We learned where they may sometimes have stuff, and avoid those that NEVER have anything interesting.  
Brad

11/2/2003 9:36 PM
Brad1
Link to pics, if curious...
Made a small webpage with pics, if anyone is interested.  
http://beta.hometown.aol.com/plinkfoyd/myhomepage/index.html  

Any ideas? (And please lemme know if the site works OK?)  

Thanks,  
Brad

11/2/2003 11:03 PM
Carl Gigun

wow, I gotta go to the flea market more. I checked the site, it definitely works. Sorry I can't help you figure out the little box.  

-Carl

11/3/2003 12:02 AM
Brad1

Carl,  
Thanks for the report that it works. Wish I knew what that box does. May be a cool effect (tremelo?) that I could make the amp do if I knew what's cooking. Didn't feel comfortable plugging it into anything...what with the blue tubes and all..:)  
(Damn...just smoked my Texas Specials....)  
Hard to figure out. Heck, the speaker output is on an 8-pin plug with 2 wires going out to the speaker, and other, more lethal-looking wires going elsewhere. Plus, the box umbilical goes all over the place. What's with the extra transformer? Why 3 6SL7's? I've started trying to trace it...but I think this is gonna take a while. Interstin' critter, ta be sure.  
Thanks,  
Brad;)

Page 1 of 1