ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

1x15 cabinet favorites....

:
8/21/2003 11:03 PM
daveg
1x15 cabinet favorites....
Looking for suggestions on a 1x15 cabinet to run my PA head converted to 5E5 topology. Anyone have favorites as far speaker and cabinet type?. I play my own brand of Texas Blues/Rock. Maybe thru 2x12 or 4x10?. All help is greatly appreciated!.  

Dave

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

8/22/2003 6:05 AM
Chris B
Dave,  

Weber makes great speakers in all of those sizes. (10,12, and 15). I've got a 1 x 15" cab and a 2 x 12" cab, both loaded with Webers. The 15" is a C15CA "California" and the two 12's are C12GB "Thames" speakers. Both sound great, and I've got them both in closed back cabs. 15's are tempermental, IMO, so I'd probably go with the 12's or 4 C10Q's.  

Chris B

8/22/2003 6:32 PM
daveg

Chris,  
You still lookin' to sell the cabinet?. Thanks!  
Dave

8/23/2003 3:36 AM
Chris B
Dave,  

It's already gone. I sold it a few weeks ago, and put the Cali in a big closed back cabinet. 16" x 17.5" x 22" cab made of MDF. Realy cool cabinet that doesn't color the sound too much.  

Chris B

8/22/2003 9:20 PM
Matt H

Chris,  
What do you mean the 15 is tempermental? I'm actually considering geting the 15" Ceramic Cali (though i'd be going for an open backed cab).  

Matt

8/22/2003 9:38 PM
MBSetzer

We got a small Magnatone bass amp with an open back cabinet and a vintage Jensen 15.  

Just 20watts so its a student model for bass, but excellent for guitar clean or screaming.  

A 5E3 seems like it would be good from a small open back 15, closed back would project all the sound forward and seem less like a typical Fender.  

Provided you do want to have that much of a Fender influence.  

With an open back it doesn't make nearly as much difference what the cabinet dimensions are, the amp will seem louder but there will be less bass.  

Mike

8/23/2003 3:39 AM
Chris B
I guess what I'm trying to say is that it seems like the 15" is picky about what amp goes with it. It's probably a case of the speaker showing all the flaws in a particular circuit, because it sounds great with the amp it's currently matched to.  

Chris B

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>