ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

DC Filaments

5/23/2003 9:31 PM
Bob DeRosa
email
DC Filaments
Does running your heaters on DC increase the strain on your PT ?  

For example, I have a Hammond 276X PT with a secondary rated at 6.3vct @ 5 amps.  

I'll be running 6 12ax7 (6*.3 = 1.8a) and 2 el34 (2*1.6=3.2a) tubes for a total load of 5 amps.  

If I go to DC do I need more current capability or is it the same ?  

The reason I asked was that I was reading an article about regulated DC and it said that you need ~40% more "headroom" than with AC. I couldn't tell if that was for all DC or just regulated DC.  

Thanks in advance

5/24/2003 1:33 AM
Ted
Hi Bob. In my amps I use a separate transformer to run the preamp tube heaters on regulated DC. I run them at 12v so there is less strain on both the transformer and regulator. The power tubes and driver are run from AC and the amps are totally free of hum. Many others have said it before and it's true; don't run the power tube filaments on DC. It is a waste and has no benefits.  
Ted

5/24/2003 2:18 AM
wayneosdias
email

Ted  
I struggled w/this and couldnt get it to work correctly. Ive heard mesa/boogie runs dc pre and ac poweramp, but have been unable to find a workable schem on this, you got one?  

Bob  
still pluggin away? rite on my man! yes when converting from ac to dc there is a loss which is converted to heat  

wayne

5/24/2003 4:32 PM
Bob DeRosa
email

This morning I rectified and filtered the heaters. I've got an annoting buzz now...  

Should I tape and stowe the CT or hook it to ground ?  

I think I'm going to go back to AC heaters but try hooking the CT to a ~75volt "standoff" voltage.  

I'll keep you posted if anyone is interested...

5/24/2003 6:56 PM
Ted
Bob, you have to regulate the DC if you want it to be quiet. Just using a bridge rec and a cap is not enough and it will be noisier than AC.  
Ted

5/26/2003 5:41 PM
Steve A.
email

Ted:  

you have to regulate the DC if you want it to be quiet. Just using a bridge rec and a cap is not enough and it will be noisier than AC.  

I've never regulated the DC and if you reference it to ground properly it should be very quiet. The negative terminal of the rectifier should be floated off ground with something like a 0.1uF cap.  

I wrote up how to do it in my article on modding the Pignose GV40V:  

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/articles/blue_gtr/amps/g40v_mod.pdf  

Look in the bookmark pane for "DC Filament Supply mod".  

Steve Ahola

5/26/2003 6:14 PM
wayneosdias
email

Steve I tried that mod on the g40v, but couldnt get it to work correctly.

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>