ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

how to de-smellify used amp

:
5/6/2003 12:46 PM
Allen how to de-smellify used amp
No offense smokers, but, you guys really stink up an amp. I have two that need to be de-stenched. Does anyone have a method that will really work?

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

5/6/2003 2:58 PM
Michael Tousek
How about taking the chassis out of the cab, and then setting chassis and cab out in the sun for a few days? The sun seems to have great deodorizing power.

5/6/2003 3:17 PM
e.z. rider
If you plan to take the amp out to the bars for gigs, get used to it. Otherwise, I would try wiping it down with something like Febreze or something.  
The bar smell gets into everything. My gig bags, hell, even my guitar gets an odor about it. Even the guitar cables are smoky smelling.

5/6/2003 6:57 PM
Mike Conner

Yeah, upon opening a guitar case about 2 days after a 2 or 3 gig weekend in some nasty smoke filled clubs... man that's a strong stench. Feels like you're opening a coffin on an old black and white vampire movie (dust and poision white air shoots out accompanied by a cheesy sound effect)

5/7/2003 7:02 PM
HACKER
SMOKING STINKS...TOO BAD YOU CAN'T MAKE THE STINKY ASSES THAT SMOKE AROUND YOU PAY TO UNSTINK YOUR AMP, AND WASH YOUR CLOTHES....THEY ARE PART OF THE REASON I DON'T GO TO BARS OR CLUBS ANYMORE....I CAN'T STAND THE SMELL.....YUCK  
NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE WHO SMOKES....BUT YOU STINK

5/6/2003 4:44 PM
Jack Koochin

Ozone is used in lots of professional applications to eliminate tough odors, like in smoking motel rooms. If you know someone with an ozone generator (you can also rent one from equipment/tool rental place), borrow it and stick your amp in an empty closet or some other smallish space with the generator and the ozone will get into all the nooks and crannies of the amp. Don't over-do it, though, as ozone is a fairly aggressive molecule.... you wouldn't want to blow it directly at the amp just in case it starts to oxidize the tolex. I don't think this oxidization should be a problem unless the exposure is direct and very intense for an extended period. Coupla 2-3 hours might do it. Check it and do it some more if required.  
HTH,  
Jack

5/6/2003 10:44 PM
John Culp

My sister told me about a friend of hers who got a terrifically cheap deal on a nice used Mercedes. It had been found on the parking lot of the Atlanta airport with a body in the trunk. It was located because passersby complained about the terrible stench coming from it in the hot Georgia summer weather. You can imagine why he got it cheap. He took it to a shop that ozoned the interior and got the smell right out of it.

Page 1 of 10 Next> Last Page>>