ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: cutting garolite boards

:
4/19/2003 5:14 PM
Dr. Blues
Re: cutting garolite boards
metal cutting bandsaw...nuff said.  

ciao...dr. blues

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

4/21/2003 5:28 PM
bob predaina
quote:
"What type of saw blade do I need for cutting down g-10 board? For a table saw. "
Nathan,  

these other posts are right -- a miter saw or a bandsaw would do the trick, but if you do want to use a tablesaw, be sure to use a crosscut blade that is carbide tipped. a regular crosscut blade won't handle the garolite as well, and a ripping blade would be too coarse.  

based on your request for a blade for a tablesaw, i'd guess that you either don't have the other tools, or perhaps you bought a really *BIG* sheet of G10!  

thanks for the schem, btw.  

bob

4/21/2003 5:41 PM
stephen conner
health hazard?
I heard that the dust produced by cutting G10 is a serious health hazard. Is this true? Normally I just use a hacksaw.  

Steve C.

4/21/2003 7:56 PM
R.G.
Hacksaw cutting is not likely to be too bad. The dust is too large a particle size. I can easily see where *grinding* the stuff would produce particles small enough to get down into your lungs.  

R.G.

4/21/2003 10:27 PM
Dai Hirokawa

[QUOTE]I heard that the dust produced by cutting G10 is a serious health hazard. Is this true? Normally I just use a hacksaw.  

Steve C.[/QUOTE]  

I read bakelite too (think a carcinogen--has formaldehyde as an ingredient). Stuff about throwing away cut-offs from PCB manf'ing being an environmental problem, so they started recycling the leftover bits(something like that).  

Dai

4/22/2003 3:45 AM
Philip

I recently called a local plastics shop, to ask whether they had any G10 they could sell me. They had some big sheets, but explained that they couldn't do any machining or cutting for me, since the dust is (according to him) "toxic."  

I went ahead and ordered a couple of 2" x 48" strips of brown grade XX garolite from McMaster, for $3 apiece. Lightning-fast shipping! I haven't tried to cut it yet, but I'll give it a try with my trusty hacksaw soon.  

--philip  
http://www.diyguitaramp.com

4/25/2003 2:54 PM
anonymous
philip, i've looked at McMaster. they don't sell the strips as "sheets", they sell them as "bars." are the "bars" the same thing as garolite sheets, but cut down to 2x48 and 3x48?

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 4 Next> Last Page>>