ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: health hazard?

:
4/22/2003 9:04 AM
Dave H
Re: health hazard?
I used to chop it up on the guillotine at work, no dust problems but watch out for your fingers!  

Dave

4/22/2003 4:07 PM
anonymous
quote:
"I used to chop it up on the guillotine at work,"
Has anyone ever tried using a pair of shop shears? should work fine on the thinner stuff.  

I agree that the G10 dust is a concern. You should definitely wear a mask, and a dust collection system would certainly be helpful too. The best way to go would probably to buy a pre-cut sheet 2-3 inches wide and as long as you'd need. then you only have to make a short cut for every project.

4/22/2003 5:42 PM
Mark Lavelle

quote:
"I used to chop it up on the guillotine at work"
And just what sort of work do you do that requires a guillotine, Dave? ;)  

Seriously, though, for long chops I use the cutter part of a combo metal brake/bender/cutter we have at work. For the short cuts I just go over it with a utility knife until it'll snap on the edge of a table. I think it's healthy to be scared of the fiberglass dust...

4/23/2003 2:42 AM
SLObrain Re: health hazard? how much is bad bad bad???
I think it's healthy to be scared of the fiberglass dust...  

Great, I breathed that stuff for about almost a week at one point and now my breathing has been kinda funky ever since I got a good dose in my lungs :( I did use a soft cloth over my face but some still got in my lungs.  

Should I prepare for a funeral soon??? :( ???  

Seriously, Just how much is bad and does the dust come out of your lungs eventually?  

SLB

4/23/2003 5:11 AM
Mark Lavelle
don't make funeral arrangements...
quote:
"Seriously, Just how much is bad and does the dust come out of your lungs eventually?"
I ain't no doctor, but a quick google indicates that fiberglass is mainly an irritant, and will eventually be expelled from the lungs. That's not to say it's good for you, just not likely to kill you. These two articles seem typical:  

http://www.eig.com/smos/smo98044.html  
http://www.afge.org/Index.cfm?Page=Fiberglass  

Making fiberglass and fiberglass products is another thing, however (think toxic fumes).

4/24/2003 6:10 AM
MarkB Re: health hazard? how much is bad bad bad???
Should I prepare for a funeral soon??? :( ???  

Think asbestos. The people who have to worry are the guys who worked inside ship hulls 8 hours a day for 25 years. Don't sweat it.  

Mark

4/24/2003 6:26 PM
Gus

Asbestos is different than fiberglass. I have been told asbestos has barbs that make hard for your body to clear.  

FWIW I live in Manville NJ(11 years). A walmart etc. stands where the JM plant was. People have told me they would catch white dust on their tongues like snow when they were younger.  

Any dust is bad for your lungs.

<<First Page<PrevPage 3 of 4 Next> Last Page>>