ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

TUT 4-stage preamp (Fig. 5-53); Opinions?

:
12/23/2003 1:47 AM
Morris
TUT 4-stage preamp (Fig. 5-53); Opinions?
Has anyone here tried the 4-stage preamp (figure 5-53) shown in TUT? It looks to be a modification of the standard Marshall MV preamp that converts the cathode follower stage into a gain stage (among a number of other things).  

Any input is appreciated!

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

12/23/2003 5:55 PM
Mark Lavelle
Been there, done that! ;)  

It's capable of way more gain than I generally have any use for, and I never got my layout to the point where I could use all of it without squealing, anyway. OTOH, with a 12AY7 for the 1st & last stages it works nicely, for me.  

I've got a recording posted on my site (scroll down to the "Tonerator I" section): http://www.harmonicappliances.com

12/24/2003 5:12 AM
Morris
Hmmmmm...
Mark,  

I think the preamp you used (in the Tonerator I schematic on your site) is the standard London Power 2-channel preamp, not the 4-stage Marshall modification I'm referring to. See figure 5-53 in TUT for the schematic I'm talking about.  

I read on some BBS that the schematic I'm talking about is used in one of the Roccaforte amps.

12/24/2003 11:21 PM
Mark Lavelle
ooops! You're right, of course – I was writing that from work (now I'll have to go home & take another look)...

Page 1 of 1