ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Orange drops aren't good?

10/4/2003 12:52 AM
Mark Abbott
email
Dear Mike  

Thanks for the tip, it seems Torres may be the only option here for 418 caps.  

Thanks for your help.  

Yours Sincerely  

Mark Abbott

10/4/2003 5:31 PM
Jack Koochin
email

Mark,  
One final note - something I forgot about.....  
Cornell Dubilier makes a "WMF" series of caps that are tubular polyester film and foil. They are also yellow, just like the metalized Mallory 150's, but larger in size. (This may be what someone in an earlier message on this thread was referring to.) I am under the impression that this is the cap construction used in early good-sounding caps found in Marshalls and Fenders. I'm not sure of that, however.  
Anyhow, I got a bunch of these sampled to me by CD, and just haven't had a chance to try them out fully. My initial impression IIRC, (this was a while ago) was they were a cross between the 150's and the PS (or 418) types in character. I would recommend checking them out as well.  
I've had limited access to paper/oil caps, but I'd recommend them as well for an organic/warm vintage tone as well.  
Happing capping,  
Jack

10/5/2003 1:58 AM
Mark Abbott
email
Thanks for the info
Dear Jack  

again thanks for the tip.  

Yours Sincerely  

Mark Abbott

10/7/2003 3:16 PM
Mike
email

Mark,  

No problem. I'm wiring up a 5F6-A clone w/ 225P's right now, as well as a second w/ Sequa PIO's, so I will report back when they are both up and running.  

Mike

10/8/2003 9:47 AM
Mark Abbott
email

Dear Mike  

That would be great!  

Yours Sincerely  

Mark Abbott.

10/10/2003 12:40 AM
jeremy
email
you people do know that w the orange drops, there are different lead out contruction too? the 715 are solder coated steel leads, and the 716 are solder coated copper leads. this will make a tremendous difference in tone. i have quanitativel tested this w resistors and capacitors. copper is warmer, steel tends to be icy or sterile.  

jeremy

10/10/2003 2:48 AM
Craig C.
email

I just had an experience that I believe is cause to eat my prior words. I troubleshot a 66 BFDR tremolo circiut (weak), continuity was good to & from the pots, the roach lit up & changed speed with th espeed knob so I did a capectomy and changed all the ceramic disc's, no joy, but it couldn't be that brand new looking .022 orange drop, pin 1 off of the trem tube.......yep, my first official bad one ever. Not that this is a sound issue, they still sound great to me, just never found a bad one before, and I replaced it with a fresh shiny ORANGE new one.....bwahahahah.

<<First Page<Prev Page 5 of 5