ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Orange drops aren't good?

9/25/2003 7:46 PM
Richie
email
Re: Orange drops aren't good?
Dia, Well out of that bunch you listed.. the 225s would be the ones i'd pick to use,if i were going to use them. The older ones are 6PS,and 220.  
Its hard to build an amp, and listen to just the one amp,and judge. You have to have 2 same amps one with the ODs,and the other useing different caps..Where you switch,and A/B them  

Richie

9/25/2003 6:10 PM
Casey4s
email

I agree with you Craig, I guess it's a personal taste kinda thing.  

I use all 715P & 716P orange drops and have been very happy with the tone and perforemance of all my builds.  

I just finished a DIY variation of a BFPR and I think it is great sounding, but that's my ear.  

I Was thinking about using some tubular caps next time around. I was thinking Mallory 150/152 series.  
But I might go with the AES ones next time.  

Casey4s

9/25/2003 7:41 PM
Dutch
email

quote:
"Different strokes I suppose."

Whatchoo talkinabout Willis? :D  

Seriously, that's the name of the game.... It's not a competition at the homebrew/hobby end of the game. If you like 'em, use 'em. I like the tubular jobbies, and they happen to be cheaper as a bonus! :)  

C ya,  
Dutch

9/25/2003 7:48 PM
Richie
email

Dutch, on a good note.. if we don't use them, there are more left for the ones that do!  
Richie

10/4/2003 11:46 PM
Rick Erickson
email

quote:
"I much prefer the non-dipped yellow axial-lead jobbies that AES sells."

I've been using those (ECI) caps for around 10 years now in all kinds of "vintage" rebuilds and have had very good results with them. I've even mentioned them on this forum before. I remember Mark B. from Victoria Amps having a minor attack when I suggested they might be as good or better than OD's for repair/restoration. Of course we also dissagreed about carbon comp vs. carbon film resistors...  
fwiw - I prefer the metalized-polyester (Mylar) tubular caps.  

RE

9/26/2003 2:37 AM
Mark Abbott
email
And........
Dear Richie  

Thanks for your reply, I wasn't sure if Andy Marshall is/was one of these guys that hypes up his own amps by making such claims.  

Andy does claim Orange Drops don't cut it, but doesn't suggest an alternative, this sort of thing usually makes me suspicious.  

Mind you his products do enjoy a good reputation.  
I'll try emailing Andy, and see if he'll give me an answer.  

I suppose I was also waiting for some bright spark to give us all this long lecture regarding why these (new, or old) Orange Drops don't cut the mustard ;)  

I really haven't gotten around to trying the Mallory 150's, the clone does have more pressing issues, (like myself finding motivation :( )  
I shall try them though.  

I'm very curious as the sound of Ted Weber's caps that he has started selling at WeberVST, has anyone tried them?  

Yours Sincerely  

Mark Abbott

10/2/2003 7:10 AM
Greg Simon
email

Hey Mark, I've met Andy Marshall and I woudl say that he is one of the honest guys in teh business. If he says he doesn't like Orange Drops, I would say it must be because of some deficiency in the sound that he hears with them, or some quality or construction issues that he sees in them. Since everyone hears differently though, what may sound good or bad to him would be totally different to you. And some people like PCB constuction and others do not. I woudl say to try different ones in different positions and see for yourself. Thats what I plan on doing!

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 5 Next> Last Page>>