ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Which OT for JTM45?

:
7/20/2003 4:17 AM
Bruce J
Which OT for JTM45?
I'm building a new amp using some trannies I already have. I was going to build a November 2+2 but have decided to try a JTM45 instead. I plan to use KT66 power tubes (Shuguang?) and a GZ34 rectifier. The trannies I have are the Hammond 272JX PT, 193B choke and a 1650N OT. I know I am fine with the PT and choke but should I get a Hammond 1645 OT or an OEI Plexi OT instead? The specs for the 1650N are; primaries 4300 ohm CT, 30-30khz and 60 watts. I figure if I use this OT the amp would be "cleaner" sounding than an original style 30 watt OT. It also has ultra-linear taps if I wanted to try that. The 1645 has 5000 ohm CT primary at 30 watts. It would be more correct. Has anyone used this one? How did you like it? I know about the OEI, I'm sure it would be super but have heard that Joe is hard to get these days. So, I guess I am asking, would you use the 1650N or would it not be a good idea and should I find another OT. I paid nearly $80.00 for it and will either use it or trade it. Suggestions? Thanks, Bruce J.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

7/20/2003 11:35 AM
A Colman

Check the JTM45 forum,they have many answers for your questions.  
Regards  
Aharon

7/20/2003 1:49 PM
Chris ( CMW amps )
OEI
Hi Bruce  

OEI was pretty hard to contact last moth , Joe did move and Trace's busy as always with his great mods . Joe does have a very busy dayjob and is doing 80+ hours a week and Trace is working 14+ hours a day . The only thing I can say they're worth every $ and every minute you've to wait .  

If you do wanna use more then one output-impedance I do suggest using the 50 Watt OEI transformer .  
The OT is one of the most important parts in a tube-amp and I wouldn't go for something worser to save some bucks ( imho ) .  

The JTM45-forum is a great group of people , check them out .  

Have fun building !!!  

Chris

7/26/2003 8:48 PM
SpeedRacer
Hi Chris !  

Actually I am (finally!) all caught up on email, mostly unpacked too.. but wow.. it was a lot of work. We had weather issues, rental truck issues, mover issues, closing issues.. even our issues had issues! But it's all over (I think!) If I'd known how rough the move was going to be, I would have closed up for 3 months. 20/20 hindsight and all that! ;) We're still dealing with bandwidth issues (I'm back to dialup :( ) but the cable guys have painted and power & telco have flagged so someone may dig someday.. please!? There is a downside to living in the woods..  

ps: I am also happy to say I have worked precious few 80 hour weeks, but do avg about 60.  

pps: I agree 100% about the JTM45 group! Great folks, lots of info. I've learned a ton from them!

7/27/2003 10:32 AM
Chris ( CMW amps )

Hi Joe !!!  

Glad to hear you're doing allright , I truly hope you can spend the "extra" time on your family and the "on the side stuff" :) .  

Living in the woods' BIG + : diming your amps !!!  

If you ever need some "overseas" help feel free to contact me .  

Chris  

Ps Heads up for Trace and Anthony ; Anthony did have some health problems and Trace was doing 14+ hours EVERY day .

7/28/2003 4:50 PM
SpeedRacer

Glad to hear you're doing allright , I truly hope you can spend the "extra" time on your family and the "on the side stuff" :) .  

Thanks! That's the general plan.. more time with the kiddies and more time for OEI. Once we get the broadband going things should settle down a lot.  

Living in the woods' BIG + : diming your amps !!!  

I still have to get the kids outside the house before I can really turn it up, but yeah, it's nice to be able to really try stuff out. ;) There is only one other house on the 'road' we're on, and I actually know the guy.. it's a small small world. This guy was the roomate of the other guitarist in my first band at school 20 years ago. Anyhow, he's cool so unless the deer and turkeys get together to file a complaint, I've got no worries. ;)  

Ps Heads up for Trace and Anthony ; Anthony did have some health problems and Trace was doing 14+ hours EVERY day .  

yeah.. trace is a madman! I may work like a dog, but he works like 3 dogs and a beaver!

7/28/2003 12:24 PM
steve

Hey Joe - Does that mean you can take an order now? I tried to contact you a month or so ago, but did not get a response.  
thanks.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>