ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Cab for EV12L

:
5/27/2003 7:32 AM
Jeff
Re: Cab for EV12L
To be honest, I can't really remember -- it was in a friends studio with his cabs and it was quite a few years ago. I believe that I liked it for the overdrive and thought that the Celestions were better for the cleans. This is pretty much how I feel about speakers in general: Celestion -- clean; EV -- overdrive. This is why a lot of people used to have 2x12 cabs with one EV and one Celestion.  

See ya  
Jeff

5/27/2003 11:46 AM
bosephus

maybe make a sealed cabinet, w removeable back, and cut squares in the back (would have to make several to do this) to approximate a tuned port? various sizes, placement, and even shape? trial and error is always fun!!!!! laterz!!  

bo

5/27/2003 2:18 PM
bob predaina
quote:
"maybe make a sealed cabinet, w removeable back, and cut squares in the back (would have to make several to do this) to approximate a tuned port? various sizes, placement, and even shape? "
its funny you should mention that -- EV's TL series cabinets (those I discussed above) use square ports with removeable cover plates to switch between the "normal" and the "step-down" modes.  

some of their later designs have 1 or 2 ports and use various diameters and lengths of PVC pipe to construct the tuned ports. it would seem simple enough to use a screw-on cap for the pipe if you wanted to go back and forth between a ported and a sealed box.  

personally, I'd put the ports on the front -- in a T-S B6-alignment type cab, the port and not the speaker produces the lowest octave of bass response, so you're really best off if you have the port facing foreward.

5/28/2003 1:56 AM
bosephus

didnt know all that stuff. cool.  
i would also put the port in front too. would work great for a fan for loose shorts....... :)  

bo

5/28/2003 9:43 PM
O'Connor

Our speaker book shows a 112 application that has the same acoustic output as a 412 but with more low end. See our site for details. 15us  

Have fun  
Kevin O'Connor

5/29/2003 7:01 PM
Todd Hepler
Our speaker book shows a 112 application that has the same acoustic output as a 412 but with more low end. See our site for details. 15us  

Have fun  
Kevin O'Connor

Hi Kevin,  

I'm intrigued - I'll give you $5us for the 1X12 plans.  

-Todd

5/31/2003 2:49 AM
Rob
> Our speaker book shows a 112 application that has the same acoustic output as a 412  

I don't mean any disrespect but that's a physical impossibility. For a direct radiating system, the cabinet only affects the lower frequencies and with the same drivers a 4x12 will have more acoustic output than a 1x12.  

Rob

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 8 Next> Last Page>>