ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

need a 20w simple guitar head for begin to start with

4/16/2003 9:09 AM
Tim
email
need a 20w simple guitar head for begin to start with
Hello there,  

I am new to building but really want to start learning. I would like to build a simple 20w guitar head with 1 input, gain knob, 3 band eq and volume knob. No effects loops, dual channels or anything fancy. My guitar play uses a JCM800 100w and it is so loud it is ridiculous so I want to build a more usable amp.  
I saw the AX84 but it is only a 5w amp.  
Does anyone have any recomendations?  

I am sorry if you guys get plenty of these requests.  

Thanks for your time.  

Tim

4/16/2003 2:53 PM
Shea
email

Yeah, GDS amps makes something just like that, I believe. Go to http://www.18watt.com, and you'll see links to GDS amps from there.  

Shea

4/16/2003 3:12 PM
Rich_Stevens
email

Or, go back to AX84 if you want to DIY. Mate up a High Octane Preamp with a November (or 18-Watter) power amp. Mark Huss has also been talking up his "6V6 Plexi" lately, which reported sounds real good.

4/17/2003 6:09 AM
Tim
email

Thanks guys but I need something really simple in a head.  
Any other suggestions?  

Thanks again for your time  

Tim

4/17/2003 11:07 AM
Rich_Stevens
email

For 20 watts, you're almost certainly talking about a small push-pull amp, which unavoidably raises the level of complexity slightly above that of the simplest amps (like the AX84 P1).  

About the simplest amp in your wattage range is the Mark Huss' 18-Watt Lite II. A quick search around here or any of the DIY sites will get you a schematic. It only has a single tone control, but that might be enough for you. There's a trade-off here: less EQ for more gain. If you want moderately high gain AND full 3-band EQ, you'll need another 12AX7, and there goes your compexity level back up again.  

There are a couple of easy master volume mods you could add. Each has its supporters and detractors. Try 'em all.  

For the sake of my own credibility, I'm a JCM800 100-watt player from 'way back. It's always been my favorite amp but yes, it's way too loud. My ultimate goal is similar to yours - the sound of the 2203 with manageable volume. But I'm going to start out with a couple of 18-Watter variants first, and work my way up.

4/17/2003 12:20 PM
Shea
email

Rich -  

You wouldn't really need to add an extra 12AX7 to the 18-Watt Lite II to drive a full tone stack. The Lite II has the two triodes of V1 in parallel. Cascade 'em, then there would be plenty of gain to drive a tone stack. A single EF86 would do it too - right now I'm driving a Baxandall (actually James) tone stack with an EF86.  

But maybe this isn't much help to Tim.  

Shea

4/17/2003 2:40 PM
Mark Buckingham
email
Re: need a 20w simple guitar head for begin to start wit
Shea,  

I'm pretty interested in the ef86 w/ baxandall idea... Could I get a schematic of your amp? (Or at least the ef86/baxandall part?)  

Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>