ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Preamp Power Supply Wiring Options

4/4/2003 10:28 PM
O'Connor
email
Re: Preamp Power Supply Wiring Options
"Option 2" is NOT a new idea. It is the high-node decoupling approach presented in TUT2, which schematically looks no different than any conventional decoupling method. It has the advatage however, of allowing greater variation in the applied voltage to each individual stage. The larger decoupling resistance values give the effect of better filtering with the longer RC constants they produce.  

Have fun  
Kevin O'Connor

4/4/2003 11:20 PM
Soren
Thanks Kevin! It's a new idea only to me after looking at my preamp layout and seeing what wiring would be the shortest and simplest, and then wondering what wiring could be used for maximum experimental possibilities for myself and the end user.  

The idea of paralleling the last 3 stages for headroom, and then more filtering for stage 1 is a new thought for me, a great response to my post, and the reason why we post things!  

Anyway, I wanted to ask you about the shematics in TUT3. For the Plexi it is not clear which of the two Vp nodes goes where. The first Vp to the PI, and the second Vp paralleled to all the rest ?  

According to the 800 schematic it seems Vp2 is connected in parallel with the PI (still labeled as Vp, a typo overlooked ?), CF, and stage #3 ? And Vp1 is connected to stages 2 and 1 ?  

It is usually obvious that the first node after the power tubes goes to the PI, then the CF, then stage 4, 3, 2, and 1. From the schematic it does look like some nodes are indeed paralleled ?  

And thanks for posting pictures of the Sustainer preamp and others at London Power, your layouts are very neat. I am working on a layout which simplifies it all, I hope it works out!  

Shon

4/5/2003 10:26 PM
O'Connor
email

In the Plexi layouts and schematic, Vp is the preamp supply node that fans out to parallel-fed decoupled stages. It is one node.  

Have fun  
Kevin O'Connor

Page 1 of 1