ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Making PC Boards

:
9/24/2002 6:31 PM
Jim Jones
Making PC Boards
Gotta get some stuff in these sections again...  

Which PCB method to you prefer for building FX? I've always just done the "draw on the coppper with a Sharpie" method. That's fine for simple fuzzes and boosters but phasers can make you a little cross-eyed. Is it worth leaping into the toner transfer stuff?  

Thanks!  

Jim

9/24/2002 8:04 PM
moosapotamus

"PnP Blue" all the way, man! Once you go Blue, you never go back. Small Bear sells by the sheet. Check it out!  
- Charlie

9/24/2002 10:11 PM
Peter Cornell

Hi list  

Quite a bit of info over here :  

http://recording.org/users/kev/  

Enjoy  
Peter

9/25/2002 6:17 PM
Mark Hammer
I started making boards around 1978 or so, and used the pen and centrepunch technique for many years. I would place a photocopy of the layout on a board and poke dimples in the centre of each pad on the layout with my springloaded centrepunch and then draw in the traces, connecting the dimples.  

More recently, I migrated to using rub-on transfers in conjunction with punch-dimpling, and finally went to drilling holes with the layout affixed to the board and used the holes to line up rub-on transfers, fixing up or smoothing rough spots with a waterproof pen.  

That has now changed. Via the good graces of Alain Villeneuve, I got some sheets of PnP blue from him and am now a sworn convert.  

It's actually not just the ease of being able to iron them on and etch them. It is also the many problems I had over the years drawing on layouts, only to discover after I etched the board that I had overlooked a trace or pad in the manual process. Even though I switched from Sharpies (traditionally only available in thick tips) to Staedtler fine tip pens, making the thin traces required for some layouts was just plain hard and very hit or miss. Thin lines tend not to look as opaque and it becomes hard to judge whether the trace you drew will resist the etchant or not.  

The PnP now has me as a sworn customer.

9/25/2002 9:03 PM
Jim Jones
Thanks guys!
I guess it's time to try some PnP Blue!

10/27/2002 2:54 AM
mccullarsp@aol.com

any tips if you do not own a laser printer?

10/29/2002 11:07 AM
JD Sleep

Print out all kinds of pcb images on your ink jet printer or whatever. Then cut them all out and stick them on to one blank sheet of paper. You can get a lot of PCBs on a sheet of paper. Then take that filled up sheet of paper and your pnp blue sheets to a self serve photo copy shop.  

Put the PNP blue in the copier tray and copy your cut and pasted sheet. Set the copier to as dark as it goes, the more toner you can get onto the PNP, the better.  

This is the method I use, and it works great.  

If you accidently copy onto the wrong side of the PNP blue (shiny side) here's what you do: Go ahead and run it thru again on the right side, then when you get home carefully wipe the shiny side down with acetone and paper towels. Wipe all the toner off. You have to be quick and careful, but it will work. Don't try to iron with toner on the shiny side, you'll get it all over the iron and it's a mess.  

Well, these are my copying experiences.  

JD

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>