ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Hammond Equivalent to Standard 5E3 Power Tranny?

:
4/10/2004 9:04 PM
Maccabee
Re: Hammond Equivalent to Standard 5E3 Power Tranny?
Hey guys! Thanks for the replies!  

Matt, how did ya know I was thinking of an SS Recto to tighten up the bass on this beast? :)  

Anonimous, Thanks for the original specs man!  

BNWITT;  

Thanks for the link and the info on Rectos.  

This neophyte appreciates all of the help you guys are sending my way.  

CR ><>

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

4/10/2004 9:18 PM
Matt H

the original had 325-0-325, but with only 70mA availble, so you don't just get tube recto sag, you get the PT being bogged down and becoming less efficient as it gets hotter and hotter...  

as for the SS recto- "i just knew"... heheh no, I'm a big fan of tube recto, as cool as 'sag' is, i just don't like how it can affect the bass response in amps with such a wimpy power supply at volume. (cool for leads, terrible for tight rhythm)

4/10/2004 9:19 PM
Matt H

er, forgot a clause... i'm a big fan of tube recto, BUT IN SOME CASES I PREFER SS, as cool as 'sag' is, - blah blah.

4/10/2004 10:57 PM
bnwitt
Which is why I recommended the 273CZ with its 150ma

4/10/2004 11:03 PM
Matt H

right, but with the tranny providing that much current, it wont' drop the voltage (under load) in addition to the tube recto dropping the voltage... which means you'll be running too hot.

4/11/2004 2:05 AM
bnwitt
"right, but with the tranny providing that much current, it wont' drop the voltage (under load) in addition to the tube recto dropping the voltage... which means you'll be running too hot."  

Matt,  
What's too hot? There's nothing wrong with 325-0-325 on a deluxe. You want to lower the voltage, that's what the dropping resistor is for and zeniers for that matter. There are deluxes out there that have been running with that voltage for many years(since line voltages went up in the states) and by the way it only went up about 3% overall as most average voltages now run around 118. Thats a measly 10-15 volts on the 6V6s. Not what I would call too hot. I happen to like my 6V6's at slightly higher voltages and the preamp and PI tubes at lower than normal voltages, especially on my Harp models. I use a choke on my amps as well which pretty much eliminates alot of the sag you are talking about.

4/11/2004 2:32 AM
Matt H

our line voltage here is 123V... so, all voltages go up an extra 7% from what hammond specs.  

just out of curiousity, what are the plate voltages you're getting?  

And where do you use your choke? before the plates? or after the plate tap? that changes the ballgame a lot.  

a 325-0-325 tranny w/ a 5y3 will give you about 430V on the plate at idle, right? Another 7% on top of that is 460V.  

There is NO way that a 5e3 was designed to have 460V on the plate at idle.  

so, yeah, you can MODIFY the circuit with zeners and dropping resistors (which then introduce more sag)... but how is that BETTER than deliberately using a transformer that gives more correct voltages?  

If i'm not mistaken, I thought the 'ideal' (as in, normal/design) plate voltage for a 5e3 was around 400V on the plate? (more like 380, but whatever)... so, you can see why I'm not in favor of using that transformer... 400V vs. 460V... that's a big difference.

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 7 Next> Last Page>>