ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

How many use their 5E3 for it's clean sound?

:
3/5/2004 4:22 AM
Brian Stear
How many use their 5E3 for it's clean sound?
That's actually the reason why I built my Tweedy Deluxe.  
I love the clean sound of BF Fenders, but the tone coming from a Deluxe is just plain sweet! or as my 15 year old daughter says, sweeeeeeet!  

I would plug into the instr. ( bright ) channel at about 5-6. Then turn the mic. ( normal ) all the way up. A great tone, but not quite loud enough.  

But with 2 5E3's, it's great! Need a little dirt? Just add a pedal. It seems the amp is allot more pedal friendly at this setting.  
I have to say, I do use the extra speaker jack. That way I can use JBL's for the clean bite, and Celest. Alcino Blues and Weber/Jensens for the crunch.  

Isn't there another tweed Fender that has it's volume/tone controls connected the same?.......

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

3/5/2004 4:33 AM
ted m
I rarely do, but for a friend evaluating DI boxes, I'm playing some chords to some surf backing with a 50s reissue strat (low output pickups) directly into a 5E3 cranked:  

http://www.tedm.com/mp3s/5e3chords.mp3

3/5/2004 11:21 AM
Chris ( CMW amps )

Hi Brian  

I love those clean sounds too .  
The Pro 5E5 is kinda like a 5E3 ( same controls ! ) but the pre does slightly differ ( two tubes for the 1st gain-stages ) , 6L6 outputtubes and a 5U4 rectifier .  

info about narrow panel Pros :  
http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/pro_narrow.html  
5E5 schematic :  
http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/schem/pro_5e5_schem.gif  
5E5 layout :  
http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/schem/pro_5e5_layout.gif  

Hope this helps ,  

Chris

3/5/2004 3:08 PM
Al Lang

Chris, Looks like the Pro 5E5 is close to a 5E3 modded to take 6L6's. I just got am Allen power transformer and upgraded OT to put in my 5E3. Can't I wire the power tubes (6L6's) like the 5E5? I think I remember (5E3 mod to 6L6) that there were two 470ohm R on the power tubes too, they are not there in the 5E5 layout, would I need them? Last, David Allen said something about I wouldn't have to use the two 100 ohm R's going to the power tubes, something about one of the wires from the PT eliminates their need, which wire and where does it go, would I need a cap between that wire and where it goes? Any help would be appreciated. I think the 5E3 is well capable of getting clean tones (with a cap change to .047ohm from .1, all of them) what I do with my single coil strat is roll the volume down a tag, really cleans things up then for leads turn it up. Thanks, Al

3/5/2004 5:32 PM
Chris ( CMW amps )

Hi Al  

Can't I wire the power tubes (6L6's) like the 5E5?  
Except for the cathodeR-rating ( 10 Watts i.o. 5 Watts ) it's possible .  
(5E3 mod to 6L6) that there were two 470ohm R on the power tubes too, they are not there in the 5E5 layout, would I need them  
It does enhance tube-life  
Last, David Allen said something about I wouldn't have to use the two 100 ohm R's going to the power tubes, something about one of the wires from the PT eliminates their need, which wire and where does it go, would I need a cap between that wire and where it goes?  
I guess it's about the filament-circuit and using two resistors when the filament-winding doesn't have a centre-tap . From top of my head : the Allen power-transformers do have a centre-tap for the filament .  

I've used a 2k5/5W resistor for the 1st droppingR and a 33k/2W resistor for the 2nd droppingR in the powersupply from a 6L6-5E3-style amp . Did use 20u for the 1st node , with a 40u 1st cap I did experience "loss of mojo" :) .  

Hope this helps ,  

Chris

3/6/2004 3:33 AM
Bob Arbogast You mean something like this?
Hybrid 5E3/5E5

3/6/2004 3:38 PM
Al Lang

Bob, exactly, I have the same PT and OT but I'm stuck with the low volt center tap, Green/Yellow wire from the tramsformer. Were does it go? And I noticed you don't have those two 100 ohm R's from power supply to power tubes. I think using the low V 6.3 @5A C.T., eliminates the R's? Please read my post on "help with wiring a PT". Do you like the Amp you made? I'm looking for a little more headroom and slightly cleaner tone with good punch for Blues. I'n not 100% into reading schematics yet but can read a layout well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, al

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>