ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

5E3 setup for 6L6s

2/9/2004 6:44 PM
Darin
email
5E3 setup for 6L6s
Hi All,  

I have seen this topic on here before, but it is now gone. What do I need to do to my 5E3 Clone for it to accept 6L6s?  

Thanks,  
Darin

2/11/2004 11:14 PM
Darin
email

Anyone??? Help please!!

2/11/2004 7:29 PM
Nate Rudy
email

http://home.earthlink.net/~elpops/tweedydeluxebuildsite/id2.html  

If it's any help to you, I have it as Tip 3 on my build site.

2/11/2004 10:30 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

Nate you have a typo there:  
quote:
"The modification includes replacing 270 Ohm, 5 Watt cathode resistor with a 10 W rated resistor, replacing the wires connecting pin 4 on the two power tubes to the power caps on the circuit board with "470 K Ohm" resistors, ...."
It's 470 ohm resistors not 470K ohm.  

Bruce

2/12/2004 12:01 AM
Darin
email

Hi Bruce,  

Thanks for the clarification. It certainly seems easier to switch out the OT to a Tweed Super OT, if the mod info is accurate. Does this really significantly change the overall tone? Having this flexibility (6V6s & 6L6s) would be a very nice feature. Which appraoch is better (6L6 mod vs. OT Change)?

2/12/2004 6:09 AM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

Yes.  
If the PT is at least 120ma, switching the OT to a tweed Super OT (about the size of a Pro Reverb OT) and 6L6s is a pretty radical change but it works great and sounds very good when you go back to 6V6s.  
Leaving the 5E3 sized OT with 6L6s will net you some extra headroom and a few more watts too but you don't want to set the amp up for 6L6s exclusively as that OT is a bit small for 6L6s running full power.  
Bruce

2/12/2004 3:55 AM
Darren Burt
email

I've been running 6L6s (and a 5V4-equivalent Copper Cap) in my Mission 5E3, but the only mods I did was replace the 5W 270ohm resistor with a 10W, and to make the Zener diode switchable.  

What does adding resistors between pins 4 and ground, and the different ground bar resistor values do?

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>