ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

5E3 too bright sounding

:
1/28/2004 4:20 AM
Paul S
5E3 too bright sounding
My 5E3 build is very bright sounding. I noticed it seemed bright with the P12R which I didnt like and replaced with a Reverend Alltone. I now have some clean headroom but even with the tone on 3, I still have to back off on the tone pots on my strat. I have the original value coupling caps. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.  

Paul

1/28/2004 5:25 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps

Are you positive the 500pF cap is wired to the tone pot and brite channel volume pot, on all the right lugs?  
I've not heard someone complain that the 5E3 is too brite! ha ha.  

Bruce

1/29/2004 12:16 AM
Paul S

Hi Bruce,  
I have checked and the 500pf cap is wired exactly as in the layout. I think I'll replace it with another 500pf and see if that makes a difference. Thanks.  

Paul

1/29/2004 12:44 AM
Rockin' Daddy
Paul,  
Are you playing your Strat into the bright channel?

1/29/2004 3:42 PM
Paul S

That's a strat into either channel. It is brighter in the bright channel. Thanks.  

Paul

1/29/2004 7:07 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps

quote:
"That's a strat into either channel. It is brighter in the bright channel. Thanks."
If it's not the speaker or an abnormaly trebley Strat.... these amps really aren't that bright so I'm thinking it might be wired wrong and you just haven't found the error yet Paul.  

Bruce

1/30/2004 4:52 AM
Paul S

Hi Bruce,  
You are right! It's the Reverend Alltone speaker. Maybe I'll put that one in my pro reverb. Thanks!  

Paul

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>