ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Wires from Mercury Magnetics FTDO-59

:
9/5/2003 9:19 PM
Al Lang
Wires from Mercury Magnetics FTDO-59
Ready to put OT in Mission 5E3 but a little confused on wires. Stock Mojo OT layout has 5 wires, MM-59 has 4, I have the MM-59 OT. Is this right, Blue and Black/red to pins 3 of 6V6's and does it matter to which tube they go? White/orange to center tap of 1st 20uf cap. Cloth yellow to tip of speaker jack. Where is the ground? The MM-59 only has 4 wires blue, blk/red stripe, white/orange stripe and cloth yellow. Can't figure this out, gess I'm a dummy. I did notice a bare ground wire soldered to the side of the OT, maybe this is the ground and when grounded to chassis this serves to ground the sleeve on the speaker jack? If this is the case, could I run a wire attached to the bare wire on the OT frame to the sleeve of the speaker jack so that is grounded direct? Al

9/6/2003 12:49 AM
Dave
On the FTDO-59 the 5th wire is grounded to the transformer frame, so you only need one wire for the speaker hot lead.  

Dave

9/6/2003 12:52 AM
Dave
Also striped wire is for B+ the other two on that side of the trany can go to either output 6v6.  

Dave

9/6/2003 12:58 AM
Dave
Sorry too hasty from memory. Got one in my hand now. Yellow is the speaker out hot lead. The red/white is B+ the other two go to the 6v6 plates.  

Dave

9/6/2003 1:08 AM
Dave
It's been one of thoughs days...white/orange not red/white.  

Dave

9/6/2003 1:01 AM
Randy Perry

Al, It's not necessary to run a wire from the bare wire to the speaker jack as you will already be grounding the OT to the chassis when you mount it. Likewise the speaker jack will be grounded to the chassis when it is mounted. Some forum members, though, have run a wire from the OT frame to the PT mounting stud that is being used as the central grounding point to assure a positive (as in good, not polarity) ground on the OT. This requires sanding through the OT's coating in a small spot for good soldering. Which lead goes to which 6V6 is not important, just make sure the center tap is correct.

9/6/2003 1:08 AM
Randy Perry

Let me just clarify one thing; when I said "Which lead goes to which 6V6 is not important, just make sure the center tap is correct." I meant which of the 2, Blue or Black/Red goes to which 6V6 is not important. Yellow goes to the speaker jack.

Page 1 of 1