ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Transfixed...

2/7/2001 2:03 PM
Sam
email
Transfixed...
Yeah, I was transfixed when I was listening to LP's alright. I think that had a lot to do with what I was smoking at the time. :D  

Sam

2/8/2001 7:04 AM
John Fisher
email
Re: Vinyl LP's better than CD's? Get real!
Vertually all LP's were first recorded on tape, then pressed into LP's. I wonder what it would sound like like to go from digital medium in the recording of the song and then pass it diectly to LP?  

John Fisher

2/8/2001 7:46 AM
Hi
email

That's an interesting idea. I've been doing a lot of recording for some time now on an old (1967) Ampex 8-track one inch tape machine, then running a mix onto cassette, then running that into the digital domain, using 32-bit resolution to clean it up, etc. Unfortunately, the place I've done this has to then convert that to 16-bit to burn to CD, but it still sounds pretty darn good. I like the tape medium. I've recently been doing more strictly digital (all computer 32-bit resolution then to 16-bit to CD), and although it sounds very clear and all, I just like the tape medium. I think that's the main thing about the recording of LPs; I may not be correct, but I think the beauty of the vinyl is largely the clarity of the processing of the sound of the tape medium. There are serious problems with the high end of pressing to vinyl, and by remastering using half-speed master tapes the low end suffered. I'm not an expert on vinyl production by any means, and I'd like to hear a digitally recorded (say on DAT or 24- or 32-bit resolution hard drive systems) pressed into vinyl, just to hear what it sounds like. Vinyl production is pretty inexpensive, after all.  

Hi

2/8/2001 1:02 PM
MKB
email

If I'm not wrong, many of the LP's released in the early eighties were "digital masters". Ry Cooder's "Bop till you drop" Lp was supposed to be the first digital master LP released, they made a big deal about it at the time. I have a few classical digital master LP's, nothing exceptional about them from what I could hear (but this was awhile back when I was very anal about analog).  

I have a few "direct to disc" LP's, where the master was recorded live- no tape. Now THAT is a treat!

<<First Page<Prev Page 7 of 7