ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Great site for debugging/finetuning Windows!

:
12/22/2000 9:04 PM
Steve A.
Re: Great site for debugging/finetuning Windows!
John:  

Thanks for goin to the trouble to make the PDF file.  

Actually I did that for my own benefit because I wanted to search his site to undo some changes I tried the other day. With WinME, the CONFIG.SYS file is supposedly used only by "legacy" programs so I figured what the hell and created a CONFIG.SYS file with his recommendations for files, stacks, etc. The next time I started Windows I got a message saying that the items in CONFIG.SYS were incorporated into the registry (or something to that extent). I went back to edit C.S and the file was empty!  

Only I never did find that info in PDF file so I must have picked it up at a different site.   :(    

Before making the changes, when idle, Windows would access the hd briefly every minute or so (something to do with the swapfile, I think). Now it does that differently... it is only when I switch apps that it accesses the hd, but the thrashing goes on for several seconds now! I'm not sure which way is better, but I would like to be able to switch back and forth to make further tests...  

Steve Ahola

Page 1 of 1