ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

EVH stuff

:
10/8/2000 10:36 PM
Victor
EVH stuff
Hi there,  

I have never before posted in the EVH threads on this board. There is good reason for this, as I have listened to EVH about 5 times in my lifetime (I was an uncool kid). My dad had me hooked on Springsteen and Zepplin at age 4, and in the 80's I was into the Cars, Police, and Talking Heads. Wierd childhood.  

Well anyway, I got a cable modem this week. Caught Napster fever bigtime. Downloaded about 10 EVH Hits and gave them a listen. Here's what I came up with.  

The amp, in which there has been so much "muckery" over, sounds like a JCM800 50 watt Lead series (the one with the good EQ). Nothing special. Compression, EQ, and reverb appear to be added post prod. I hear this on Panama, Jamie's Cryin, Dance the night away, and Beautiful girls..  

On eruption and You Really Got Me, I hear an amp with substantially more gain. Possibly one made by the "P" word. There is still a bit of post production work done on that one as well.  

The amazing thing appears to be the amount of control EVH maintains over his guitar with the gain cranked, and the fact that he lets you hear only the strings that he wants you to hear. He is simply a brilliant guitarist.  

So, in retrospect, I fail to understand the origin of the "Brown Sound". If someone wants to sound like EVH, then they will have to play like EVH.. No amp in the world is going to help you.  

Am I missing something here? Recommended listening material?  

PS, I tried.. And I can get the rythm sound down on an 800. Screw trying the leads.  

Victor  
ożo

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

10/9/2000 1:49 AM
Eric H

[QUOTE]The amazing thing appears to be the amount of control EVH maintains over his guitar with the gain cranked, and the fact that he lets you hear only the strings that he wants you to hear. He is simply a brilliant guitarist.  
[/QUOTE]  
That's it. 20 years later, everyone seems to think it was the amp, not Ed. When he blew onto the airwaves in '78 no one gave a damn about the amp --it was: "how the hell did he do THAT?"  

quote:
"If someone wants to sound like EVH, then they will have to play like EVH.. No amp in the world is going to help you."

Good call.  

-Eric

10/9/2000 2:23 AM
Gord

Hi,  

It's also interesting to note that the EVH tone today is nothing like it was in the days of old, like it or not. Personally, I hate his tone now, so I believe that his '67 Super Lead had a lot to do with his sound back then. He is still a great player, though.  

Gord

10/9/2000 2:45 AM
Mitch

I fully agree with Gord.

10/9/2000 5:27 AM
Victor

quote:
"I believe that his '67 Super Lead had a lot to do with his sound back then"

Sorry,  
My guess was a JCM 800 50 watt lead. My bad. It's nice to know I came close though.  

Victor  
ożo

10/9/2000 10:53 PM
Mike Re: EVH stuff "Nothing special"???
The EVH tone Is "nothing special"? That is tha most sought after tone there is! A JCM 800 is a great amp, but it is not even close to a 67 plexie! Don't take this wrong I'm not being a jerk, but when you trivialize EVH's tone it is like saying, Jesus walked on water, but so what!

10/9/2000 11:32 PM
Rebel420

quote:
"The EVH tone Is "nothing special"? That is tha most sought after tone there is"
ahhh but if EVERYBODY ounded like Eddie, then how exciting would life be? Things would be as mundane as the plethora of new music that all sounds the same.... not beign a jerk here, but there is some subjectiveness here ;) ALSO, ask most old time country players, and they will tell you NOTHING beats an old Gretsch thru a tweed or brown fender... or a telecaster thru a blackface fender...... ask Joe Pass, Joe Negri, or any other traditional jazz player if they would give up their hollowbody thru the Polytone or Roland JC120 for eddie's rig, and the'd all probably laugh.  
... BUT for what he did, his tone was unique and probably the most 'mysterious' tone to a lot of players, and if that is what you want, I fare thee well on thy quest for the grail!

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>