ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: The Ultimate 50 watt Marshall mod...

1/4/2001 3:08 PM
dgiust Re: The Ultimate 50 watt Marshall mod...
Who/what/where is OEI?

1/4/2001 3:44 PM
Dai Hirokawa
email

www.obsoleteelectronics.com  

They make the highly regarded 50 watt Marshall plexi replacement output tranny.  

Dai Hirokawa

1/5/2001 9:46 PM
JaySG
I did the same -- finally got to play it loud today. This is an '83 2204 into an open back V30, driven by a Strat with EMGs. I'm not as sold as you guys -- maybe because it's a 2204?  

Much darker -- actually needed to dial the treble and presence up. Is this what you observed? The clean is better :) I need to hear the overdrive some more before I decide. It seems less crunchy. Also, I need to try other guitars and other cabinets.

1/5/2001 11:11 PM
Tonefactor
email

quote:
"Much darker -- actually needed to dial the treble and presence up. Is this what you observed? "

That's what was so great about the original plexis, you could crank everything up without the sound getting overly bright and piercing, even with the split cathode versions. This was due to the output trannies.

1/5/2001 11:17 PM
Tonefactor
email

quote:
"I need to hear the overdrive some more before I decide. It seems less crunchy"

Some would say, "smoother". You've become too accustomed to that early 70's and later Marshall crunch sound. By your description, it sounds to me like the transformer is doing what it was designed to do... sound like a plexi.

1/6/2001 2:06 AM
JaySG
Thanks T, good to hear it. I can only think of one time when I absolutely knew I was listening to a plexi (they used to all look alike). That was through a standard 4-12" which has a different vibe than how I tested it.  

Someone here once said that no one ever used the Lo input on a 2204/2203. That's actually how I played it before adding O'Connor's Hi/Lo switching. For Lo, there's an extra cap across the 10k cathode resistor, plus, I clipped the 470pF on the Preamp pot. I think I need to play with the bypass cap on the 10k.  

I will be shortening up the OT leads soon. :)

1/7/2001 7:05 PM
Trace
email

quote:
"I did the same -- finally got to play it loud today. This is an '83 2204 into an open back V30, driven by a Strat with EMGs. I'm not as sold as you guys -- maybe because it's a 2204? Much darker -- "

I've installed several of these into 2204's and "dark" was never a word anyone used to describe the sonic differences.  

Another quick thing to mention is you have an open back cabinet so the low-end people are referring to is not going to be as "prominant" (for lack of a better word) because a lot of the low-end is going out the back of the cabinet (as opposed to a 4/12 or any sealed back cabinet). Just a thought.  

quote:
"I need to hear the overdrive some more before I decide. It seems less crunchy. Also, I need to try other guitars and other cabinets."

Maybe recheck where you hooked up the feedback tap to? Maybe it's not on the right tap(?) You might be getting more feedback than you need to. It's a thought is all. I've never heard the OEI described this way which is why I was trying to think of anything that might be effecting what you are hearing. Try putting the feedback tap on the 4-ohm tap, it might be closer to what you want to hear.  

Hope it helps  

Trace

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 2