ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: visit Schematic Hell!

The sunn still shines online!

:
Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

The Ultimate 50 watt Marshall mod...

:
1/3/2001 1:06 PM
Liam
The Ultimate 50 watt Marshall mod...
For anyone who hasn't yet got the message:  

I got an OEI plexi reissue OT for Christmas. Installed it a few days ago in my late '70s 1987 (used to be a 1986).  

Yes, it is all true. These things sound amazing. The bottom end is tighter and warmer, the top has a definition that was missing before. My tube screamer has never sounded like this through any amp. It's all just so gritty and grainy and...just amazing. The clean sound is the best I've heard from any Marshall. As I wind it up to get the power stage overdriven things just get better. No mush, just great sweet crunchy tone.  

I took it to rehearsal and after one particular number the grins on the faces of the rest of the band were too much. I asked what was up and they said "we just didn't know you could play like that". I WASN'T DOING ANYTHING DIFFERENT. Honestly, I sounded like 10 times the guitarist I actually am.  

Sorry to use ampage for an advertisement - but I am so impressed with this OT.  

Liam:)

1/3/2001 1:10 PM
Liam

Oh, yes. Slight addendum. Anyone know which of the 1987's had V2a bypassed with a 0.68uF? I've noticed it on a couple of schems, but certainly not all. I'm not sure if it's a mistake on the schematics, but I tried it anyway. It makes channel 2 sound nice and bright, and maybe a bit too gainy, but channel 1 gets miles too shrill.  

Just thought I'd mention that too.  

Liam

1/4/2001 10:11 PM
ChrisW

Hi Liam ,  

according to the info I have that 680n cap. was used between '68 and '73 .  

Chris

1/5/2001 11:11 AM
Liam

Thanks Chris. Weirdly enough I've got a 1970 schematic where it's not in there - so maybe not all of them had it even then. It really changes the character of the amp a lot.  

Liam

1/5/2001 3:05 AM
RJ

I added the .68 cap to my 74 MkII. I liked it but I didn't want that (creamy) crunch all the time so I took it back out. I can still get there using a TS9. Everybodies reviews of the OEI trans. has got my trigger finger itchin'.  

RJ

1/5/2001 11:09 AM
Liam

quote:
"I liked it but I didn't want that (creamy) crunch all the time so I took it back out. I can still get there using a TS9."

That's exactly the same conclusion I came to. The TS9 really does nail that tone almost exactly.  

quote:
"Everybodies reviews of the OEI trans. has got my trigger finger itchin'."

I'd be very surprised if you regret it.  

Liam

1/3/2001 2:01 PM
Matt
I just installed my OEI OT over the Christmas break as well. To quote Madeline Kahn from Blazing Saddles, "It's true, it's true!".

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>