ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

DMM gone south... recommendation on new toys

:
2/19/2001 6:15 AM
Rebel420
DMM gone south... recommendation on new toys
Well.. I've alwyas bou8ght cheapo meters, because I coudnt justify spending much, plus if I do something stupid, not much loss.... welll I did something stupid, and ended up frying 2 meters at the same time *laugh* (lets just say the VDC settings are in opposite directions on the knob for each meter, and i knew how many clicks i needed to go... had them clipped in, and clicked them to a different setting (mA I think) and they both went (yues, I replaced the fuses, and nothing).... sooooo...  

Time to buy a new meter...  

Should I spring for a Fluke? If so, what do ya'll recommend, or know of any other comparable meters that myay be a few $$ less. Here is what I NEED and WANT  

NEED:  

at least 1000VDC reading available  

pretty good accuracy, esp when doiing things like OT shunt biasing....  

low voltage accuracy, since i deal with pedals as well, and if i feel like measuring voltage drop across a smallish resistor, i wnat to be accurate enough as well..  

WANTS:  

Capacitance checker woudl be a bonus, enough to warrant a few more $$ spent for me... want to be able to measure as small as 5pF, and as high as 350uF  

Optional:  

Inductance measurement  

Frequency counter (and or generator)  

transistor checker  

Thanx... I dont want a $5 meter, but i'm not spending $500 either...

2/19/2001 6:30 AM
Troy

Rebel: You may want to check some of the pawn shops in your area; I found a Fluke 87 in really good shape for $100.00; I think they sell new for around $350.00. Also try e-bay and www.radioshack.com.  

Troy

2/19/2001 4:05 PM
Bruce

Take a look at the Wavetek 27XT. I've seen them for around $100.00 to $120.00 at:  

http://www.Radioshack.com  

Fluke and Wavtek are married now.  

The Fluke model 77-III was on sale for around $170.00 too.  

Bruce

2/19/2001 6:27 PM
drewl
well, if you're playing with amps, what's to stop you from fixing these "blown"meters?  

you'll find they are pretty easy to work on once you get the hang of them.

2/19/2001 6:41 PM
Rebel420

1) I coudl buy 2 or 3 of these meters for my minmum bench charge *laugh*... id' waste too much time, and these actually have a deal of surface mount digital shit, that I don't want to deal with.  

2) It's about time I upgraded to something a bit more accurate.

Page 1 of 1