ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Other sources for chassis?

:
1/4/2001 2:52 PM
Paul Gosselin
Other sources for chassis?
Hey Guys,  

Besides Hammond, who else makes reasonably-priced steel or aluminum chassis that can be used in amp construction?  

What I'm looking for is something 17" X 8" X 2". Unfortunately, Hammond doesn't make anything that size.  

Thanks.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

1/4/2001 3:42 PM
Bruce

I might have a few light weight, generic chassis close to that size.  

Try http://www.tubesandmore.com too  

Bruce

1/4/2001 6:59 PM
Andrew M

Hammond does make a 16" x 8" x 2" chassis in steel and aluminum. Do you need that exact size?  

Andrew.

1/4/2001 7:21 PM
Casey4s

AES at the link that Bruce supplied also has some aluminum chassis made by some other manufacturer in a 17x8x2 for $16.00 AES part number P-H120. I have used a couple of these myself and they are just as sturdy as the Hammond (I have used Hammonds too). Hammond also has a 17x10x3 but that is kinda big.  

Good Luck,  

Casey4s

1/4/2001 11:07 PM
Paul Gosselin

Yeah, I just got the AES catalog at home and saw it. It looked promising. However, that particular chassis doesn't come with a baseplate.  

What did you use for the baseplate on yours?  

FYI I'm building my amp in an old Mesa/Boogie combo cabinet. That's why the particular dimensions. Maybe I could go a little smaller on the width and just hide the difference behind a faceplate. But I'd like to keept it as close as possible to what Boogie put in there.  

Paul

1/5/2001 12:21 AM
Casey4s

Paul,  

By baseplate I assume you mean the "cover plate". I used one of these chassis (actualy a 17X7 that they no longer have)in a DIY Tweed Bassman clone, so I used the same brass stock I made the faceplate from. But you could always get a Hammond 17x10 cover and just trim it to fit. For most amps, you really don't need to have one. A couple of my amps have and a couple don't.  

Casey4s

1/5/2001 5:27 PM
Paul Gosselin

Yes, I meant cover plate.  

Actually, in my case, I have to have one. The controls are on the front of the amp. So that means the chassis is not mounted upright as in a tweed amp. So where the cover plate is is where I would have to mount the tube sockets.  

I think trimmimg the Hammond cover makes the most sense. Thanks.  

Paul

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>