ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Wire strippers

2/11/2001 1:52 AM
Pete Galati
Wire strippers
What do you people tend to use for wire strippers? I have that wire stripper from RS, but I hate the thing. So I've been using a Barlow pocket knife to shave the insulation off, so far that works better for me.  

Pete

2/11/2001 2:12 AM
zachary vex
my teeth, mostly  

there's an inexpensive adjustable kind that works pretty well, sold by most electronic supply places like mouser and so forth. has a swiveling cam that you use to set the size... never had a problem with that kind.  

zachary vex

2/11/2001 2:14 AM
Krusty

I've got a cheap pair (actually it's only one) of wire strippers, i think they are similar to the RS ones with different guage holes, and crimpers, etc...I don't like it much either, but i use it for bigger guage (bigger than 24) stranded wire. I use my hooked pair of needle nose with the cutter for telephone-type single strand wire. Works okay as long as you don't nick the wire itself. And then there are the finger nails...  

Where I worked this past summer they had a good pair of wire strippers, which automatically stripped the wire...it had to parts attached by springs...one held the wire in place, the other was the stripper, and when you squeezed the handles together it strips it all by itself...one handed. I wish I had a pair of these (two of them!)  

This probably doesn't help you too much,  

just my half pence.  

Krusty.

2/11/2001 3:38 AM
Gilles C

I've always used my cutters. At first, you cut a few wires in place of strip them. But after a while, you get a sense for the correct pressure to use, and also for the best side of the cutters to use.  

I never liked wire strippers.  

Gilles

2/11/2001 3:57 AM
Pete Galati

I've always used my cutters. At first, you cut a few wires in place of strip them. But after a while, you get a sense for the correct pressure to use, and also for the best side of the cutters to use.  

I never liked wire strippers.  

Gilles

Yeah, I've got some small wire cutters that work well for wire strippers, but that depends on the wire. if the insulation is all stretchy, then they don't work very well.  

Pete

2/11/2001 4:40 AM
Andrew G
Mine are called "T-Stripper". I believe they are made by "Ideal Industries Inc". At least thats whats stamped on them. Mine have red rubber on handles and a spring in the middle between the two handles. They strip wire from 16-26AWG. They also have a cutter. They work very well and are fairly comfortable to hold. The tool is about 6 inches long. I bought them when I was in college, but you should be able to find them at a good electronics parts supply store. I believe they also have a pair that has yellow rubber on the handles and these will strip larger wire gauges.

2/11/2001 4:50 AM
Dr.Dan
MCM is where I got my T-strippers.I bought the red ones and the yellow ones that go down to 30 AWG.They work great.

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>