ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Not quite

2/1/2001 2:36 AM
dave
email
Re: Not quite
I didnt mean to suggest it would be more compact, I actually was thinking quite the opposite. I've never used opamps for anything and dont really want to jump into that at this point, so was hoping that I could find a 100% transistor envelope followr circuit to build (even though it would probably be more difficult).  

Dr. Quack, unfortunately is not that. Oh well. I bet there is a good reason why this beast is so hard to find, although I'm sure that getting an envelope following effect is probably not too hard to do with transistors.  

dave

2/1/2001 3:50 AM
Jake
email

Hi Mark,  

Only slightly off topic, but I've just finished your exellent and well written autowah atricle at GEO, and now understand the principles involved. Only there were some typos that make me think this was the earlier draft. Didn't you post a while back that an expanded version was completed?  

Jake (the overworked, underpaid, stompbox neglecting graduate student)

2/1/2001 3:57 AM
Mark Hammer
email

You are correct on both counts. Once I'm done with Stompbox Forum and Ampage for this evening, I'll upload the "new improved" version of that article to hammer.ampage.org. It's at least 50% better in my estimation.  

Now get back to your Methods chapter, buddy. It's the most important one in the dissertation!! It's the one that links your hypotheses to your outcomes.  

Mark (the overworked, modestly paid, stompbox neglecting, irritatingly pedantic, former graduate student). :)

2/1/2001 4:10 AM
Jake
email

quote:
"Now get back to your Methods chapter, buddy. It's the most important one in the dissertation!! It's the one that links your hypotheses to your outcomes."

OK! But I'm cruising on the last few paragraphs of the discussion section now.:D I have the go-ahead to defend at the and of February. Then its back to the soldering iron. :)  

quote:
"Mark (the overworked, modestly paid, stompbox neglecting, irritatingly pedantic, former graduate student). :)"

If you made it, maybe I can too! (Are you still in the field?)  

I'm looking forward to your new article at your new website!  

Jake

2/2/2001 6:51 AM
Mark Hammer
email

A word of wisdom about defenses from someone who has been on both sides of the table: MAKE THEM SWEAT!!  

The goal of all faculty members on the committee is to appear erudite, despite the fact that they have been so bogged down with grant proposals to read the damn dissertation. This is where that noble tradition of questions-from-left-field comes from. They come from people who have relatively little insight into the research embodied in the dissertation and want to get out of there to the faculty club with their self-respect and reputation intact. Make those overpaid buggers EARN their keep.  

I thoroughly enjoyed my dissertation defense. One sociologist on my committee asked me one of those way out there questions, and I was pleased to be able to say, "Yeah, as a matter of fact I did my masters on just that area". You could SMELL the fear across the room. Since I had no funding and had to work full-time, the big D took a while to get written up. All of this led to a satisfying exchange with the external examiner who commented that she liked the way the dissertation flowed from the literature. I had to stifle the grin as I informed her that it had actually preceded the literature cited by a few years. I tell you, one lives for those moments. :)

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 2