ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: New drawing, more graphics

:
1/27/2001 12:41 AM
aron
Re: New drawing, more graphics
That's what I mean! He's talking about removing resistors to get more fidelity, non-use of PCB due to capacitance -- etc.. etc.., then he loads down the pickups on purpose.  

Try the Black Cat overdrive.... look at the input.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

1/27/2001 3:22 PM
Doug H

quote:
"He's talking about removing resistors to get more fidelity, non-use of PCB due to capacitance -- etc.. etc.., then he loads down the pickups on purpose."

Maybe you've touched on the double-standard of amp builders. They throw around all these sonic "values" like high input Z, low capacitance, etc. as absolute laws that cannot be violated, and I understand the reasons for them. But everyone knows most everyone uses pedals in front of their sonically pristine amps. And pedals are the wild west of audio electronics. It can be the most wacked-out lo-fi idea as long as it gets a particular "tone".  

It's when they start trying to apply guitar amp "principles" to pedals it gets strange. For example, IMO "high input Z" has no meaning in pedal circuits unless you are using a "non-true" bypass and are concerned about loading the bypass circuit. Within the pedal circuit, it's whatever works to get the tone you're after. Sometimes lo input Z works better, which contradicts typical "good audio" principles.  

So I don't think you can apply the same rules in each context. What's funny is the electric guitar sound as we know it is based on completely breaking the "audio rules" with respect to what the original intention of tube amps were in the 50's.  

Sorry this so long-winded, I need more coffee...  

Doug

<<First Page<PrevPage 5 of 5