ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Rat tone mods ?

:
1/21/2001 2:24 AM
Ken
Rat tone mods ?
When using my Rat I find I have the tone control pretty well up full. Is it possible to move the freq. response back ,if you understand what I mean? Do I need to change the res or the cap in the tone section or do I decrease the size of the output cap?  

Cheers Ken  

P.s this is a home built Rat not a factory one.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

1/21/2001 4:16 AM
dale

look at the schematic and find the capacitor near the tone pot and try different values. by the way, i too have a rat i built, and a good mod that really sweetened it was to replace the diodes with germanium diodes available at radio shack for a buck for 10. really worth it.  

-dale

1/21/2001 2:49 PM
Carlos
4 Germanium diode or 2 Germs and on silicon?
Hi Dale!  

What kind of diode combo did you use?  

4 germaniums or one silicon and two germaniums which is said to create an even sweeter sound due to asymmetrical clipping?  

Have you tried two red LEDs?  

BTW you can but in a bigger a cap near the tone pot if you want a tone control which is more useful. I remember Jack Orman wrote something like that in his "RAT mods".  

Regards  

Carlos

1/21/2001 3:56 PM
dale
carlos...............
i just used 2 germaniums. but i'm curious..........when you mention 4 germaniums, i don't understand because all the rat schematics i've seen show just 2 clipping diodes. are you saying 4 works better or what? if so i'd like to try it, but i'll wait for your answer before i do. [lazy*S*]  

thanks,-dale

1/21/2001 4:13 PM
Carlos
Germaniums two by two
Dale,  

I mean you replace one silicon diode with two germaniums wired in series.  

Regards  

Carlos

1/21/2001 10:48 PM
dale

carlos,  

there were 2 silicon diodes in paralell, but reversepolarity. i simplyreplaced those 2 with 2 germaniums wired the same.  

today i built a rat and a smokey type power amp onto one board and i'm going to build a 1-10" battery powered combo with clean and distorted[rat] channels. already tried the 2 together [rat and smokey] and works great, so i figured i'd make it all into a battery combo for our annual campfire jam at the kern river. the smokey amp is actually a similar circuit, but with more components than a smokey, and a volume pot. sounds considerably better. found it online while searching for "lm386", the op-amp it uses.  

-dale

1/21/2001 8:12 AM
Ken
Re: Rat tone mods ?
Cheers Dale I'll try some different caps at the tone control .I've got a pile of ge diodes ,might try some different combos.  

Cheers again Ken

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>