ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Hendrix Lick

1/17/2001 3:52 AM
jeff musser
email
Hendrix Lick
I have asked a couple people about this, but as of yet haven't got an answer. Since our main objective here is the search for a specific sound, I'll ask about this one. I have a CD called "Jimi Hendrix The Early Years" This is the one where a blind drunk Jim Morisson get on stage with Jimi and they can't pry him off the mic. Anyway there is a tune called Peoples Peoples aka Bleeding Heart. There is a great initial break and some sort of real bad harmonica, then, the magic happens. Jimi does some sort of up the neck double stop bend that shrieks like a woman being tortured. It's not a scream, it's a shriek like some one slamming on their brakes, only higher pitched. I have not been able to even come close to duplicating this! If you haven't heard this, I'm sure it's on Napster. It may not even be an effect. It may just be the amp cranked into the stratosphere or so an expression pedal of some. I'm too new to know. I have to know how to do this! You understand, right?

1/17/2001 6:00 AM
JoeGagan
email

Hi Jeff, I don't know about the song you are talking about, but I have heard some pretty otherworldly screams on different Hendrix tracks.  

He used Marshalls live most of the time, and the fuzz face was on a lot of the time. If you bend several notes together at the same time, sometines the combination of the guitar, Fuzz face and amp can hit overtones that are pretty human sounding.

1/17/2001 8:13 AM
friday
email
Poor taste comment of the week!
Is that the classic "FHITA" track? Maybe that was Jim getting his!

1/17/2001 9:29 PM
jeff musser
email

Yes, That's the one! He got his in the end (pun intended) I have to agree with Olaf that it is a major dissapointment for the most part. The first three cuts are pretty fair. I liked that fact that it was so live that you could here somebody's guitar jack buzz. It was the typical "bend the cable til the broken wire makes contact again". Since it is the CD you're talking about, what is your take on that lick? It absolutely makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck! Is there any way to come up with an overdrive into a Fuzz Face, without having to turn the amp to the "melt down" setting?

1/17/2001 11:00 AM
Olaf Nobis
email
Re: Hendrix Lick
This CD with Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison is the worst CD Ive ever bought. Primarily I bought it because Johnny Winter is said to have played rhythm guitar. What a disappointment.  

Anyway...  

The lick I think you are talking about is a bend of the high e string at the 12th fret. He bends the e-string as well as the b string and hits both hard.  

Use a cranked amp and a distortion device to duplicate the sound. Jimi turns on his fuzz at 1:21 (at least on my CD - there are numerous versions of this "masterpiece" so times may differ a little)  

hope this helps  

Olaf Nobis  

new Fireball Overdrive MP3

1/17/2001 9:35 PM
jeff musser
email

I will give this a try. Does this have something to do with the fact that this is a harmonics are of the fingerboard also? Will a Big Muff work with the sustain turned off and the fuzz pretty well maxed out for the fuzz face part of the chain?

Page 1 of 1