ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Components with tiny labels

1/17/2001 1:26 AM
loauc Components with tiny labels
I'm looking for a powerful magnifying glass (more than 10x) for reading labels on tiny components. I've been very happy with my 6x mag glass but sometimes I'm blind as a gopher and will be happy if anybody could give me some advice where to get a really powerful magnifying glass.  

thank you.

1/17/2001 3:44 PM
JoeGagan
email
opinion on 1/8 watt resistors & Steve D suggestion
I have found that a really bright light helps with reading this stuff. Maybe you could go to a jeweler's supply for a 'whatchacallit' that they look at diamonds with.  

Speaking of small parts, do any of our experts have any idea whether 1/8 W resistors are OK in normal guitar effect circuits? I have a lot of parts boards in the junk pile that could yield some resistors if I could use them.  

Even at 1.60 per hundred, I am still too cheap to outfit myself with the whole assortment of resistors I would be needin'.  

Or does someone stock a variety pack with all the cool values?  

Steve D- stocklist idea? Do a cap starter pack, and a resistor starter pack? You are such a great resource for beginners, I bet it would be a big seller. It would also probably simplify your order filling chores, as people would be ordering less of the individual parts [set up an assembly line style method of making the starter kit, or sub that out to your suppliers if possible].  

I started out with the 1/4 watt resistor variety pack from The Shack, but there were some big gaps in their selections.

1/17/2001 4:17 PM
Jay Doyle
email

Here, I've got to recommend Jameco, they sell resistor, mylar, electrolytic and ceramic cap "sets" you can get them with or without a thirty tray case to hold them, the kits themselves are about $20 for caps and $15 for the resistors (don't quote me on that though). The only complaint I had was that the resistor set didn't have a lot of 1M's.  

ALthough, if Steve had the patients to put these together, I surely would buy from him.  

Jay Doyle

1/17/2001 8:39 PM
aron
email

I've been wanting to do kits since.... forever.  

I was initially wanting to do a PCB+parts for each project - but do you really think that people would buy a generic cap+resistor+IC+etc... kit?  

What I wanted to do, and may still consider it, is a kit for each of my projects - with the same exact components I used. That way, they are going to get pretty darn close to the proto.  

We will see.  

Aron

1/17/2001 7:09 PM
Steve Daniels (Small Bear Electronics)
email
Re: Help Wanted In Brooklyn
Resistor and capacitor kits are a good idea, thanks! Unfortunately, I don't have time to create them (and my time is too expensive). If I can find someone here willing to do kitting for me, I would add that to a long list of support jobs that I need done. I've been giving all my attention to getting orders filled so that inventory gets paid for. Once that is accomplished, I hope to give more attention to farming out some of my office and packing jobs.  

By the way, I'm getting hookup wire. It took me a while to line up a supplier, but I think it will be worth it all the way around. Details soon.

1/18/2001 12:02 AM
Pete
email
Re: opinion on 1/8 watt resistors & Steve D suggestion
Guys,  

I know jaycar (http://www.jaycar.com.au) sells a good resistor starter kit for about $10 aust ($5 US). They have about 5 of each value up to about 2M2 I think. Then there's also another one (which is about $40 I think), which includes a little tray of all values which about 5 of each. For the ones I use a lot I normally just buy them in bulk and save a few dollars (like the 1M,s 10K's, 1K's etc)  

But look around, most electronics stores have resistor kits. I normally stay away from the cap kits as they usally don't have the values that are needed, or not enough. Sometimes they're okay for stocking up, but generally I just buy them in bulk as well  

Pete

Page 1 of 1