ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Whay Effects Does Tony Iommi Use (past / present)

:
12/19/2000 1:54 PM
Hemmo P.
Re: Whay Effects Does Tony Iommi Use (past / present)
You said earlier that the sound is like FF(on paranoid was it?). Ięve learned that distortions always sound more aggressive and such, when they are recorded. Think about Nirvana;DS-1 is such a lame, but get the sound on Nevermind WWRROOOMMMM!!!!  

I think he used Rangemaster, and you probably wonęt get that sound live(with the muffiness and in-yer-face sound). Then I think they overdrove some consol on the solo(the double-tracking), some say itęs two separate guitars and some say itęs the same divided to the separate FX/channels..  

Paranoid as a record is one of the greatest momentęs of Heavy MEtal(if we donęt count David Bowieęs "she shook me cold" on Man who sold the world..)donęt dig heavy metal that much thoę  

Hemmo P.:)

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

12/19/2000 10:12 PM
Pete

I had a look at the range master. It's only a treble booster. So what would he have overdriven that with?  

It's weird, because his sound is very bassy, not trebly at all. Combine that with the guitars tone control is disconnected.  

quote:
"Then I think they overdrove some consol on the solo(the double-tracking)"
It's a possibility, however he'd have to reproduce it live, so what would he have used?  

Sorry for a being a pain guys, I'm interested in seeing how his tone is made from the old days.  

Thanks  

Pete

12/20/2000 7:44 AM
Hemmo P.

I also may have heard that he used normal amplifier overdrive with the gain all the way up and level little lower. And if he used rangemaster on somewhere, the SG might get that bassy tone. Heve you heard any early live cuts on Sabbath? I havenęt but within the Sex Pistols, their guitar sounded really bad and diskant when they played live but in studio recęs, sound is lot different, little similar to Paranoid.. Also over-compressing has something to do with the tone and little heavier microphones and miking techniques and stuff.  

Try Muff Fuzz(transistor version) for the Iommi sound, maybe that would nail it(?)  

hEMMO. p

12/20/2000 9:29 PM
Pete

Thanks for the suggestion,  

Not too sure about the muff fuzz, that seems to be way too much fuzz.  

I do have some live stuff of sabbath, but only around the time of Dio *about 1980), which he was using different gear then. Not too well documented period that one!  

I'm thinking more a fuzz face type circuit with a bit more bass might do it with perhaps a compressor attached. I know now he uses a compressor and some octave dividers.  

Pete

12/20/2000 9:43 PM
Eric H

Pete,  

The early custom pickups were big single-coils also --probably rewound p-90's (early guitar-player interview). Don't forget the plastic caps on your finger-tips to get that signature skritch when sliding between chord positions.  

-Eric

12/20/2000 9:48 PM
Pete

So I guess the gibson pickups would be something similar then?  

quote:
"Don't forget the plastic caps on your finger-tips to get that signature skritch when sliding between chord positions."
Eric, there's no way I'm cutting my finger tips off. :D  

I know we have to suffer for our music. I make my wife suffer by listening. Is that enough? :D  

Pete

12/20/2000 10:22 PM
Eric H

quote:
"So I guess the gibson pickups would be something similar then?"
They LOOK like humbuckers --it was a long time between the originals, and those Gibson's --maybe he got tired of the noise.  

quote:
"I know we have to suffer for our music"

Just trying to point out how difficult it is to really sound like someone with a unique style --I suspect those caps played a large role in his style and sound. Take what you get from Tony and carve your own path --pun intended.:)  

-Eric

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>