ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Check your tone stack wiring

:
1/30/2001 1:30 PM
Firefly
Re: Check your tone stack wiring
Well Doug,  

You were right about that tone stack. I found where I had forgotten to ground the last resistor and cap amd wow what a difference.  

I went back to the 12ax7 and went through a couple and found one that was strong sounding. Wow am I impressed. I played for about an hour and the sound spurred memories of songs like the Georgia Satelites "Keep Your Hands To Yourself"  

Great overdrive. Very fat. Very warm and musical. Open chords even sounded good when I usually don't like them too much. Man I like it!!!!  

Great for Santana sounds too.  

Things I noticed:  

The tone controls have VERY limited useful ranges. I'm gonna have to work on that.  

I kept the HI down almost all the way and past about 10% it was unusable. It seemed to have a peak that sounded great just up from 0.  

The LO wasn't much to write home about and it too had a small peak in effect and the rest of the range of the pot was useless  

Awesome sustain.  

Great possibility for feedback harmonics due to the nature of the distortion and the sustain.  

Overall,  

My original TS-9 may have just been replaced for overdrive sounds. It still has a place for SRV type sounds with a kind of BOOST mode operation but overdrive has a new source. I am realy really pleased.  

NOW, About that MOD you have cooking. When do you think you'll debut that??????  

OH, Does anyone have a PCB for this monster(the Chandler version, NOT the Tube works version)

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

1/30/2001 3:34 PM
emptycube

I run my Chandler with the tone control completely OFF so you're comment on the high control sounds about right. I don't know what they do but the Bias and Contour controls on my rackmount sound best when both are wide open. I've tried like hell to replace this rackmount with a pedal, it seems I've tried everything. And believe me, I want something to sound better so I can do away with the whole rackmount thing. But I can't find anything better to get that Eric Johnson 300-pound violin tone. I'm about to just give up and keep using the Chandler.

1/30/2001 4:51 PM
Doug H

Firefly, I didn't realize that was you in this thread. I remember talking to you back before Christmas.;-)  

quote:
"The tone controls have VERY limited useful ranges. I'm gonna have to work on that. "

What I found, with my modded version at least, is that the tone controls were real useful when I used it with my transistor amp. I just set the amp EQ flat and let this thing do the rest. When I used it as a front end to my tube amp, I had to crank the HI down all the way and put the LO at max. Not sure what's up with that yet, it doesn't make a particularly good 'tube amp booster' but has a great overdrive sound of it's own.  

[QUOTE]Awesome sustain.  

Great possibility for feedback harmonics due to the nature of the distortion and the sustain. [/QUOTE]  

I think that's the strongest point. Real sensitive sustain, octave feedback and etc, with a minimum of buzz. The clipping is fairly soft but it has a warm tone which is real sensitive.  

quote:
"NOW, About that MOD you have cooking. When do you think you'll debut that?????? "

Soon, soon. I'm about ready to button my amp back up. One more attempted tweak today and then back to the tube driver.  

Doug

1/30/2001 5:00 PM
BenS

Yeah I have lost the Firefly handle after all the imposters posting as Dan Torres. I figure that I'll just use my name to avoid any confusion.  

When I build my amp I'm planning though, I will use the Firefly Designs or Firely as the name of the amp somehow. We never had 'em where I grew up and when I moved to KY I really grew to love the little buggars.  

I'm thinking of using a green jewel light with a logo that puts the light in the tail of a Firefly on the front of the chassis. Whattya think??? I thought it was pretty cool idea. I want all my homebrew stuff to look professional and NOT like the major brands. I want it to be obvious that Fender/Marshall etc Had nothing to do with my stuff 'cause I am proud of those that work.  

WOW, That has nothing to do with the TD does it?!?!?  

Later, Ben S

2/1/2001 7:58 AM
Ben
Re: Got my Tube driver going, got a couple questions
I've finished the Tube driver Tube Work version last week (power supply 9V and on pot for tone control), it works fine in crunch mode (low drive), and also in full drive configuration (lot of bass and sustain), but I think I'have the same tone stack trouble as Doug and Ben S: a lot of agressive treble. Doug, I'm very interesting with your modifications to avoid this problem. I pluged a NE ECC83 tube.

2/1/2001 12:54 PM
Doug H

quote:
"Doug, I'm very interesting with your modifications to avoid this problem. "

This is just a wiring problem with the tone stack, nothing to do with my mods. Just re-check your wiring carefully. I suggested the tone stack to BenS because I experienced similar symptoms when that was the problem with mine.  

Doug

2/1/2001 1:00 PM
Ben S

Yeah, If you see the posts above, I had forgotten to ground the end of the tone stack. Once I did that I was really pleased.  

I'd still like to hit the plates with some higher b+ though, Just for experimentation purposes. I have no idea what that would affect though. I'm sur ethat it could cause some problems with levels and would change the headroom. Maybe I'll hook my variac up as the supply transformer for the B+ and rectify and filter that. I should be able to start with the correct voltage and go up from there listening for changes. HMMM Good Idea. Whattya Think?  

BenS

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 3 Next> Last Page>>