ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Clean/Warm Boost

:
10/26/2000 3:10 PM
Doug H
Re: Clean/Warm Boost
quote:
"I'm assuming you mean just the opamp gain stage as in the Shaka IV. "

Exactly! Right now on my breadboard I have something loosely resembling a Rat opamp stage. I'm running it at 18V and it is killer! This is the best medium to high gain tone I've heard so far. Does all the typical hi-gain stuff plus the highs are real detailed, no mud. Makes it very responsive and expressive, feels like the guitar is playing itself. And this is with a TL072. I have some LM308's on order so it will be interesting to hear how they sound.  

I'm also fooling with one that does a real decent fender tone, has sort of an SRV vibe. When I'm finished, I'll put them up on my site with sound samples and the whole bit.  

Doug

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

10/26/2000 3:24 PM
Ian Anderson

Speaking of compression and 18V power supplies...  

Has anyone ever built/modded an MXR Dynacomp to use 18V? (two PP3's)...  

Would this give it more headroom and a puchier sound as it does tend to soften things up a little 'too' much at times.  

Anyone???  

... Ian

10/26/2000 3:39 PM
GFR

The CA3080 inside the Dynacomp can only handle about 10mV on its input before distorting, so I don't think you can improve the headroom by using a supply of more than 9V.  

The LM13600 can handle a little more on the input before distortion, but still very limited.

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 2