ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: survey2: what field to get into?

9/22/2000 2:33 AM
Ry
email
Re: survey2: what field to get into?
I am an EE. I got the degree so that I could get a good job to fund my musical instrument habits. I must say that it has paid off well. There is no lack of jobs asking for people with this degree right now. The one bit of advice I would give is to take an extra semester over what you need and take as many C and C++ classes as you can stand. EE's with programming experience have limitless job possibilities! When you can design hardware and at least know how software will interface with it, you are marketable wherever you want to go.  

Ry

9/22/2000 3:40 AM
Don Symes
email

I'll second that statement. It wouldn't hurt to get an assembly language class or two in there too. (any CPU - just to have to program in that leve of detail)  

If you ever want to do ANY design, ONLY accept design positions.  

Good luck, man.

9/22/2000 4:24 AM
Randall Aiken
email

I'll third that recommendation. Get the EE and you can usually get a job programming, if that is what you want, but if you get the CS or CompE degree, you cannot get a job in design engineering. If you do decide to go the design route, be sure to start out in design, because if you work for several years and have no design experience, a company will not usually want to hire you, even as an entry-level design engineer.  

I totally agree on the assembler and C/C++ - you'll need this heavily in the later semesters and on the job. I do as much or more programming as I do hardware design. I'd also highly recommend taking a course in Verilog and/or VHDL, as that is the way most FPGA's are designed nowadays. Also take a course in mechanical engineering/AutoCAD. Learn as many skills as you can, and you will be much more valuable to an employer, and it will help you pass the EIT/FE and PE exams!  

And lastly, take all the analog design courses you can. Digital is fun, but analog design is *real* engineering. :) It has more applications in guitar amps, anyway, unless you want to work for the evil Line6 empire that is trying to undermine the amp world as we know it.  

Randall Aiken

9/22/2000 1:44 PM
Paul C
email

Thanks guys. The thing that's been holding me up is just looking at another 3 to 4 year thing. I figure, though, that for the next few years this baby wouldn't know if it lived in a box, so now's the time to do it. Design is by far what I want to do. Just wished I'd have gone this route the first time. I could have had a phd!

9/22/2000 5:59 PM
Brad
email

I think Ford and Firestone may be looking for Design Engineers.  
Brad

9/23/2000 4:01 PM
Carl Z
email

Let me just add that getting a little ProE under your belt along with autocad would be a wise move too. In my chassis quest I found a LOT of mfg's using ProE exclusively.  

Carl Z

9/22/2000 8:21 PM
Carl S.
email

You're a dad now, by your other post! Congrats!  

I have a BS and MS in Computer Science. Nobody  
really cares about the MS, for whatever that's worth.  

Anyway, if you like software, the opportunities  
for CS types seem limitless. There's a real  
clamor for Java programmers, C++, networkers,  
router types, etc.  

It might be worthwhile to think about what it is that floats your boat the most: hardware or software and go from there. Most pure CS types don't handle anything but bits unless they get into system admin.  

I am a certified Oracle DBA and Solaris system admin and find plenty of work at good rates here in Atlanta.  

Nashville's great, isn't it? My in-laws live in Brentwood.  

Best wishes on your new addition and your desire to take up a different career!

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 3 Next> Last Page>>