ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: R.G., here's a test for you

:
6/11/2000 3:35 AM
SpeedRacer
Re: R.G., here's a test for you
Dutch - you're still a madman. :-)  
Don't go changin' !  

Learning what to listen for is a really valuable concept IMHO. And in that respect, I take no offense to Holger's "test". If there is something to learn to hear there, then great. I agree with Trace that some will never get it, I also agree with you and GFR that most can refine this ability. I couldn't tell a 12str from a 6 on a song when I started playing guitar.. When I was taking lessons, one thing Bob did was work on my ear training. Teaching me to listen for what string someone was playing a riff on. Innately I had the ability, but I could not "just do it".. I had to work on it. At first it seemed an insurmountable obstacle, but in time it became natural. I could not hear the difference between a .02uF PI input cap alone and one bypassed with a 330pF cap until Trace taught me! He heard it and I did not, but I learned what it sounded like and now I can hear it.  

Now watch me walk through that wall.. ;-)  
(thud! doh!)

6/11/2000 3:56 AM
Steve Ahola

Speed:  

I could not hear the difference between a .02uF PI input cap alone and one bypassed with a 330pF cap until Trace taught me!  

I did add that cap to one of my amps and am pleased with it, but I never did wire it up to a switch for a direct A/B test. So how would you describe the difference? (We've already heard from Trace and John about this but I was interested in what you had to say about it... although Trace and John are welcome, too!)  

--Thanks!  

Steve Ahola

6/12/2000 2:20 AM
SpeedRacer

It got a little bit thicker and richer. A word Trace uses a lot, which I've "borrowed" ;-) is "Girth", and this is the sort of mod that makes me wanna say "it adds girth". Like your strings got a little bigger, you tubes distort a little nicer.. It's subtle yes, but there. (and worth trying)

6/12/2000 1:23 PM
Trace

quote:
"I could not hear the difference between a .02uF PI input cap alone and one bypassed with a 330pF cap until Trace taught me! He heard it and I did not, but I learned what it sounded like and now I can hear it."

Speed, you are too kind as usual!! You do have fantastic ears and there's no doubting that, also an amazing blues player with sweet feel!  

quote:
"Now watch me walk through that wall.. ;-)  
(thud! doh!)"

Don't do it man!! You have lumps for weeks  

:)  
Trace

6/11/2000 4:18 AM
Steve Ahola

Trace:  

When someone keeps telling you what you should be hearing I think you get into psycho-acoustic hearing.."well if he hears it then I MUST be able to hear it as well"...  

I don't have the definition of "psychoacoustic" handy, but it's not like psychosomatic illnesses (where it is all in your mind... ;) )  

I believe that it has to do with how the human brain interprets the neural impulses from the ear... like how you can hear notes lower than the frequency response of your old-time AM radio. You hear the various harmonics of the fundamental tone (which itself is not present) and your mind fills in the blanks... Psychoacoustics is a real science, not just some voodoo mumbo-jumbo like Scientology (sorry about that, John!).  

What you brought up was a classic example of the "Emperor's New Clothes" syndrone... :D  

--Thanks!  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. With all of the John's on these forums, the one I was referring to was Travolta, of course. Just didn't want to offend any of our Johns here who might happen to be Scientologists (or proctologists because I think that L. Ron Hubbard has his head up his  

[CLICK]

6/12/2000 1:40 PM
Trace

quote:
"I don't have the definition of "psychoacoustic" handy, but it's not like psychosomatic illnesses (where it is all in your mind... )"

Ok, it's one of my "made it up" words (ha, ha) A good example would be how Eric Johnson hears a difference in tone when he uses a rubberband to hold the plate onto his effect pedal rather than the 4 screws. It would seem since there's a rubberband rather than the screws he figures he hears the difference. I'm not saying he doesn't have good tone but the rubberband is might much! (ha, ha) :D  

Trace

6/24/2000 12:55 PM
frank

:D

<<First Page<PrevPage 4 of 15 Next> Last Page>>