ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: better test

:
6/8/2000 12:45 PM
GFR
Re: better test
I bought a ultrasonic mosquito repellent and quit using it because me and my wife were having headaches and the baby was getting nervous.  

I opened it just for curiosity, it's a 555 oscillator driving a piezo.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

6/8/2000 6:47 PM
Mark

You said:  

Get one of those ultrasonic deer/rodent repellent devices, and see if it makes you cringe and run away whenever you get near it.  

My folks just put up one on these at their new house to keep deer from eating the roses, but sometimes I wonder if they put it up to keep me away. The damn thing drives me crazy! I have a hard time believing that *I* can hear this thing after a good ten years of playing loud music and my pop can't. It's either an age thing, or I'm just more used to actively listening.  

I say:  
I can hear those repellent devices also. And Uncle Sam says I have significant hearing loss (too much to allow me to fly helicopters). Also, I remember reading some years ago that hearing loss takes around 10 years to show up after the damage has been done. I don't have any other sources to verify that, so YMMV. All that said, I still find I have more discerning hearing than my non-hearing-damaged associates. Go figure..  

Mark

6/8/2000 8:03 PM
Mark Hammer

1) Some folks swear by zoo-poo, that manure you can buy with the shit of carnivores in it. The smell of mountain lions may well make the deer a little cautious.  

2) There is hearing loss and hearing loss. I can hear fairly high up too. But I have all kinds of midrange dips resulting from an adolescence in the land of the punch press, and some festivals where I sat a little too close to the speaker banks. Some types of hearing loss are more low-pas in nature, whereas other sources of hearing loss are more notch-filter-like.

6/8/2000 8:15 PM
dutch

>>  
I have all kinds of midrange dips resulting from an adolescence in the land of the punch press, and some festivals where I sat a little too close to the speaker banks. Some types of hearing loss are more low-pas in nature, whereas other sources of hearing loss are more notch-filter-like.  
>>  

Me too. My method of hearing damage was a chain saw--my dad ran a firewood business out of our back yard for the latter half of my childhood. I also seem to have a high-pass hearing loss--some low-pitched stuff just goes right on past when there's any background noise to mask it.... There's a guitar player here in Mesa/Phx. named Carvin Jones, and it's damn near impossible for me to hold a conversation with him because his voice is so low and rumbly....  

C ya,  
Dutch

6/9/2000 7:35 AM
Sweetfinger

Dutch, its not your fault. EVERYONE has trouble hearing Carvin!

6/16/2000 12:38 AM
dutch

Sweetfinger-  
So, you're a fellow krispy kritter from the "valley of the people too stupid to move somewhere cooler", er..., the "valley of the sun"! Was it hot today? I was inside a giant refrigerator other people call the SCC Student Center all day. I guess I'll find out in about half an hour.... :^)  

C ya,  
Dutch

6/9/2000 9:37 PM
Stephen Conner

quote:
"too much to allow me to fly helicopters"

Why do you need good hearing to fly a helicopter? It's not like you're going to hear the bad guys sneaking up on you over the noise of the rotor blades ;) Just wondering  

Steve C.

<<First Page<PrevPage 14 of 15 Next> Last Page>>