ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Got the Les Paul Itch

:
5/18/2000 4:37 PM
John
Got the Les Paul Itch
I'm debating what Les Paul route to go and would like feedback regarding the various models and knockoffs.  
Right now I could afford the SL models; what are the primary differences between the lower-end Gibson Les Pauls and the Studio and Standard Series (besides cosmetics)?  
Has anyone (perhaps our Canadian brethren) played the new Tokais? Ring Music in Toronto has a new goldtop with P90s and a Bigsby style tailpiece for $850 Canadian ($567.84 USD) shipped.  
I guess my question boils down to me not having 15 large to drop on a '58 burst, but I want that sound. What's the best route to take?

5/18/2000 5:44 PM
Frank Clarke

I've played 3 Tokai's LP's recently. Nice, not as heavy as a real Les Paul though. The wood grain is so good, it looks fake, although I suspect it's is actually real. I've had a Tokai Strat for about 15 years.  
I would try the real thing and knockoffs in the flesh, through the same amp, and ask my self "is the difference worth the money".  
Resale value is an issue with the copies, of course.

5/19/2000 9:48 AM
Liam

quote:
"I've played 3 Tokai's LP's recently. Nice, not as heavy as a real Les Paul though. The wood grain is so good, it looks fake, although I suspect it's is actually real. I've had a Tokai Strat for about 15 years."

Funny. I had a play of a '57 Gold Top a couple of years ago, and I thought that was very light. So maybe they're a real accurate copy?  

Liam

5/18/2000 6:36 PM
Bryan James

check out the ephiphone LP's there very nice.  
they also have a hollow body LP for about 500 that i want. but i really like them alot and there usually between 300-800 dollars as aposed to 800-3000 dollars  

Bryan

5/18/2000 9:01 PM
BWilliamson

Been looking myself. Haven't been able to find one that is a Standard without a Broken neck it seems. Lots of Classics. Didn't want to pay the prices they are asking for new ones, or really the used ones for that matter. My little local shop keeps surprising me, he is a Heritage Dealer. He had a extra one of thier Les Pauls around and I was playing that. Very nice--something else to consider. I think you can get these for about $1300--quite a wait I understand also.  

http://www.heritageguitar.com/  

bw

5/24/2000 10:14 AM
Dave James

"...little local shop..."  

Pray tell?  

Dave James

5/18/2000 9:28 PM
PTJohn

You've probably heard this, but check into a Heritage. Built in Kalamazoo, MI, just like you know who, in the same factory. Wonderful guitars, I love mine. About 1/2 the price, and 2x the value.

Page 1 of 7 Next> Last Page>>