ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Tune a Piano

5/12/2000 8:26 AM
Gil Ayan
email
Re: Tune a Piano
I was reading this thread with interest -- I guess I always wanted to play the piano and my parents bought me a guitar when I was 6 instead... I though piano tuning was a very involved excercise because the instrument is tempered. THat being the case, tuning the notes to a perfect pitch would make the thing sound "off." Besides, with a couple of strings per key, wouldn't it be hard to get rid of the "chorus?" I guess I would fork out the $60 and watch TV while the master tuner gets the job done... :)  

Gil  

PS: I did tune Rhodes in the past and that was a piece of cake... and they always sounded good kind of out of tune anyway. What a sound that was...

5/12/2000 3:51 PM
Gus
email

Tracy how much is the Buzz F system like tuning a piano? Does it stretch the octaves like on a piano?

5/12/2000 10:25 AM
Eric Eisenhower
email

Thanks everyone for the reply. For $60, I'll leave it to the professionals. I'll let you know how it goes.  

-e

5/12/2000 1:21 PM
Mark Hammer
email

Wise move. A guy I used to play with had a Lesage Bug amplified piano - 1 string per note for the bass, 2 per note for the treble - that we attempted to tune. It seemed to come out fine, but unlike guitar tuners, piano tuners are held in place by friction with the wood surrounding them. If you don't do the tuning efficiently, in a minimum of twists and turns of the tuning keys, you can end up with enough play in the tuners that it won't stay in pitch for long. Of course, that just begets a vicious cycle of tuning and retuning. In his case, stationing the piano in a damp basement studio didn't really help matters.  

As pro-DIY as I am, professional help is called for here.

5/12/2000 2:19 PM
peter
You may not be able to get it tuned up to normal pitch-- old pianos are often tuned down because  
they won't stay in tune at normal pitch-- depends  
on the type of piano and its condition.  

Regarding the 'chorus' effect between the  
unison strings, that is actually desireable--  
they are not meant to be exactly in tune.  

I have tuned my own piano when a couple of notes went out, I don't think I'd like to try anything more extensive. You may not need to buy a special  
wrench, i had a square socket wrench of the right size.

5/13/2000 6:51 PM
Bob C.
email

You may laugh at me for this, but how many of you have struggled to tune a 12 string of questionable quality? You've been through the strings three times and everything sounds good, then you start to play and somethings not quite right, tune again, play again, same thing over and over. The thought of 88 keys, over 200 strings gives me a headache. I will gladly pay the pro's to do it. Also what would it take you, 2 hrs. minimum maybe 5-6 realistically, thats alot of practice time (or workbench time).  
My $.02  
Bob C.

5/14/2000 1:24 AM
Steve A.
email
Any tips for tuning a 12 string?
Bob:  

Good point about the 12 string... I was just wondering if there are any tricks to tuning one, or should I say "detuning" one slightly so that it sounds better than just tuning to exact "tuner" pitches?  

--Thanks!  

Steve Ahola  

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 4 Next> Last Page>>