ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Saw David Lindley last weekend...

:
5/1/2000 5:31 PM
Steve M.
Saw David Lindley last weekend...
Since my buddy Whit posted a message concerning his concert going activities, I thought I might do the same:  

I went to see David Lindley last Friday here in Denver. As usual it was an awesome show. This makes the sixth time I've seen him since moving to Denver. The highlight of the show was his brand new song: "Sport Utilities Suck (Hang Up and Drive you Bloodclot)." He wrote this song after he was almost run off the road by some dipstick driving in an SUV and talking on the phone at the same time. Said dipstick swerved into Mr. Dave's lane forcing him to the shoulder, and subsequently swerved back, all while talking on the phone and not missing a beat. Anyway, it was a cool reggae style song.  

For those not familar with Lindley's music, he plays lots of styles of world music on everything from 12-string guitars, sazes, ouds, acoustic lapsteels, bazoukis, pretty much anything with strings on it.  

Check out his site at: http://www.davidlindley.com/  

He's also featured in the June '00 issue of Acoustic Guiar magazine. If he plays at a place near to you, I'd highly suggest you check him out.  

Steve

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

5/2/2000 3:41 AM
Mark Hammer

I've been enamored of this guy since the first Kaleidescope record way back in 1960-whatever. What range! It's hard to get playing more delicate than some of his pairings with Ry Cooder, and it's hard to get heavier than his version of "Cuckoo" on the second Kaleidescope album. Yoiks!! Finally, I think it is fair to say that this guy has singlehandedly done more for the resurrection of whacko 60's design guitars than most people will give him credit for. The very fact that a guy with his chops could play weirdo Kay guitars as if they *ought* to be played that seriously gave them an air of respectability that raised them above the shame most people had felt abut them at that point. I know that Jimmy Page also had something to do with it, but my hunch is that Danelectro wouldn't have become the presence it is in equipment if guys like Lindley hadn't been playing older "second tier" instruments with reverence and stunning technique.  

As an aside, in a recent GP article, Ben Harper had LOTS of good things to say about DL as an influence on his musical development.

5/2/2000 7:25 PM
pumpstein

I was in a band that opened a show for DL back in the late 80's, and he blew my mind completely. I was already a fan, but after that night, I was a RABID fan. David Lindley is a master of tone and groove.  

It was fun to see his guitar tech running around looking after something like 30 guitars. I think he swapped guitars pretty much every tune.  

For the uninitiated, two words: "Mercury Blues".  

- P

5/2/2000 7:57 PM
Rebel420

Was he using the Silvertones and Danelectros back then? what about now? He alwasy gets a kiler tone out of what was basically entry level equipment *laugh*  

I' ve noticed Lindley has a VERY distinct style tat I can pick off of most everything he's done. I odnt know for a fact if Warren Haynes cites Lindley for an influence in his slide playing, but if you've ever seen Haynes live, it really makes you wonder.

5/3/2000 3:50 PM
Mark Hammer

Well, I can't think of a single lap steel player with a fat overdriven tone *prior* to DL's career, but I can think of plenty afterwards.  

It's really hard to describe, but DL "believes" in the notes he plays. Whether working with the in-your-face tone of "Mercury Blues" or playing rinky-dink notes on any of his selected Mediterranean instruments (bouzouki, oud, etc.) or some Teisco, he plays notes with authority, and emotional authenticity. No posturing, just soul.

5/3/2000 4:38 PM
Eric H

quote:
"Well, I can't think of a single lap steel player with a fat overdriven tone *prior* to DL's career, but I can think of plenty afterwards."

Freddie Roulette(sp?) comes to mind (any body into lap steel should track his stuff down). Whether they influenced each other, or not, or who came first (which I seldom think is important) I can't say.  

-Eric

5/4/2000 7:53 AM
Steve A.

Eric:  

Bob Dunne (with Milton Brown in the 30's) had a fat tone on lap steel... Overdriven? Maybe not, but those early amps were not known for their clean headroom! He had been a trombone player and his lines were incredible. I think he did play a lap steel rather than a non-pedal steel guitar with legs.  

Freddie Roulette is good, too! I just saw a new album from him but didn't pick it up... 8--( I have most of his recordings from the 60's and 70's, and saw him many times back then... in a cloud of smoke from his pipe and doing all sorts of jazzy/bluesy things on his 8 string (?) lap steel.  

I never did see DL except with Kaleidoscope once or twice in the 60's but the lyrical things he'd do on his 6 string lap steel backing a slow ballad were incredible. "Trail of Tears" by the Christian artist Terry Talbot is one of the best 70's DL lap steel solos that no one ever heard...  

So was Mercury Blues done on slide guitar or lap steel? (I always figured that was slide...)  

Al Perkins (who replaced Sneaky Pete Kleinow in the Flying Burritos Bros) was incredible but I'm not sure whether he was playing pedal steel, lap steel, or regular guitar for his solos that sounded almost Clapton-esque with FBB and Steve Stills' Manassas.  

Getting back to DL, I could never figure out how he was getting all of those sounds until a local lap steel player showed me how to pull on the strings behind the steel... "but that's cheating!" I guess that dobro players had been doing tricks like that all along, but it seems like DL brought the lap steel into rock music (just like Freddie Roulette had brought it to blues music).  

--Thanks!  

Steve Ahola

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>