ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Apology

:
4/27/2000 7:29 PM
GFR
Re: Apology
That keeps the index finger free for tapping... I use the thumb and index to hold the pick and tap with the middle.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

4/28/2000 12:16 PM
Mark Cameron

Eric H has it! You can't play Bottoms Up corectly with out holding the pick this way. To me, this is one of the keys to his sound.

4/28/2000 7:27 PM
Eric H

You also have to get so far into the zone even YOU can't believe what your hands are doing, so you stand there with a loopy grin on your face, from the wonder of it all. Jeff Beck does this too --there seems to be a playfulness (or humor) in much of the playing of these 2 guys that's similar, something I seldom see in other players. I think they ALLOW themselves to completely let the music take over, but are somehow able to look at it (almost from the audiences perspective) and ENJOY without reservation.  

Put another way, most good guitarists look like they're busting a nut to play like they do. Those 2 make it look easy.  
Sorry about the ramble :>)  

-Eric

4/29/2000 3:29 PM
Trace

quote:
"You also have to get so far into the zone even YOU can't believe what your hands are doing, so you stand there with a loopy grin on your face, from the wonder of it all."

I've never seen anyone doing this myself. Most people make faces when they play (pros that I've worked with in the studio or watched live). It's par for the course :)  

quote:
"Jeff Beck does this too --there seems to be a playfulness (or humor) in much of the playing of these 2 guys that's similar, something I seldom see in other players. I think they ALLOW themselves to completely let the music take over, but are somehow able to look at it (almost from the audiences perspective) and ENJOY without reservation."

Jeff Beck is a very "spotty" player. He's either incredibly on or horribly off. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground for him. Many guys may feel like they played poorly but it's hard to tell when listening. It's pretty obvious when Jeff's having an off night. He's a brilliant player when he's on though!  

Trace

5/5/2000 2:05 PM
Steve Slick

Trace,  

You and I are definitely on the same wavelength. I LOVE (Jeff) Beck's playing. But, I thought I was the only one who noticed. Two big thumbs up! When he's on, he's on: Blow By Blow and Wired. When he's not, he's not: Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop.  

I heard Clapton say one time that Jeff was the best guitar player he'd ever heard. I lost my breath. Please, God, he hasn't relapsed, has he? But, on a given night, he's right. Overall, not enough consistency.  

Just my opinion, I could be wrong!  

Steve Slick

5/5/2000 3:29 PM
Trace

quote:
"I heard Clapton say one time that Jeff was the best guitar player he'd ever heard. I lost my breath. Please, God, he hasn't relapsed, has he? But, on a given night, he's right. Overall, not enough consistency."

He's just not consistant is all. When he's on though..he's pretty amazing!!!!  

quote:
"Just my opinion, I could be wrong!"

I agree :)  

Trace

5/6/2000 12:04 AM
SpeedRacer

..when you stop and think about what you're playing, you're dead meat. :-)

<<First Page<PrevPage 5 of 12 Next> Last Page>>