ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: EVH tone

:
4/26/2000 5:04 PM
Mitch
Re: EVH tone
Eric,  
You lucky SOB, It would have been great to a keg party and seen VH back then in the early 70s. Those are some good memories.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

4/26/2000 5:07 PM
bicamen
Eric, did you also see them later when they were doing the Starwood, Whisky, Pasadena Civic Auditorium?

4/27/2000 7:15 AM
Eric H

Near as I can recall :>)  

-Eric

4/26/2000 5:36 PM
Trace

quote:
"Seems to me a lot of y'all overlook the fact that whatever gear he uses, Ed plays the guitar very, very well... "

I feel pretty confident in saying that it goes without saying he plays great! (ha, ha).  

Trace

4/27/2000 12:24 PM
GFR
Re: Apology
quote:
"If you use a 1959 run it into a LA-2A compressor and slam the signal onto 2" tape ... you're pretty much there! The LA-2A is a BIG part of the secret. (An EMT plate reverb helps as far as creating a bigger 3-D picture from one guitar)."

Don't forget to hard pan the signal just to one channel - the other channel gets just some bleeding from the drum mics and some of the plate reverb.  

If you can have some huge drumming like Alex's backing you, great.  

Also hold your pick so that you always hit the strings with both the tip of the pick and your thumb and index finger's flesh, almost at the same time - this will help bring some harmonics up.

4/27/2000 3:40 PM
Trace

quote:
"Don't forget to hard pan the signal just to one channel - the other channel gets just some bleeding from the drum mics and some of the plate reverb."

Very true! :) I figured if someone wanted to get that tone in the studio I could go into a long post on that! (ha, ha)  

quote:
"Also hold your pick so that you always hit the strings with both the tip of the pick and your thumb and index finger's flesh, almost at the same time - this will help bring some harmonics up."

WOW...you are on top of the game!! Most people never figure that out. You try to explain it but it's a hard thing to put into words. It also works well on chords!!!  

Trace

4/27/2000 5:22 PM
Eric H

quote:
"Also hold your pick so that you always hit the strings with both the tip of the pick and your thumb and index finger's flesh, almost at the same time - this will help bring some harmonics up."

Well, if you really want it right, that would be between thumb and MIDDLE finger...the one EVH always seems to be holding up during those gear-interviews.  

:>)  

-Eric

<<First Page<PrevPage 4 of 12 Next> Last Page>>