ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Looking for Schematic for Wizard Metal 100

:
4/1/2000 11:51 AM
steven
Re: Looking for Schematic for Wizard Metal 100
Rob,  
In the GP Dec '95 issue I looked for more info for you, I will "type" some bits that seem relevant to what you want.  
Page 85.  
Question's from Guitar Player's Chris Gill to Angus Young,  
What amp's did you use?  
(Angus) - "Mainly all Marshall's - a lot of older ones. Rick St. Pierre got them up and happening. He didn't doctor them much- didn't soup them up-but he got them to make the same sound that they were putting out when people first get their hands on them, unless there was something that was underpowered or something. He'd get them so they retain their original tone, instead of a sort of overdriven tone".  
C.G. Your tone is very clean, almost acoustic.  
There's a little sparkle of distortion on the top, but its not overwhelming.  
Angus, " You've got to leave some room to let the fingers do what fingers do".  
C.G. You didn't use any effects.  
Angus, "When I look at some of those things, I think you need a degree in physics to get them up and running. No effects are for different players.  
Sure, they come in handy but for what we do it was never a required thing".  
C.G. Have you ever had problems getting your sound live? Most amps tend to break up when you get to the volumes AC/DC plays at.  
Angus, "Yeah, For me personally, and its the same with Mal, if you throw a lot of amps up full, it's a waste of time- especially if you're using a Marshall or something, I would run the amps just under half before they started going to mush. And Mal, sometimes I've seen him play at a very, very quiet volume with a clean, clean tone. He likes it very clean, sharp, and bright. It helps for two guitars because you get to distinguish what the different sounds are. And then for me its good too because I can mush it up a little, but not an overdriven thing, I try to make it as real as possible.  
(Further on )  
C.G. Do you mess around with your amp settings a lot.  
Angus, "Me, no That's why I call Rick St. Pierre. He's good with those valve amps. " Make it sound like it's pure tone."  
(Further comments about Gibson SG's V/S Les Pauls, Rick St. Pierre pulling the Marshall's apart, Angus's guitar collection, How did Angus learn to play/use of open chords, keeping away from overdubs, working out solo's, favourite blues artist's, brother George, band fights. physical fitness and Angus likes Chuck Berry, saw him in Australia, Buddy Guy, Little Richard.  
Angus and Malcolm both like the blues, that and early rock and roll.  

4/1/2000 7:23 PM
Rob Whitaker

Steven,  

Thanks for going out of your way to help me out. If I can help you out sometime, let me know. By the way, are you an amp builder? And if you are, what types of amps do you build?

4/2/2000 5:54 AM
steven

I am trying to learn enough to build amps, effects, a/b switches and footswitches but I feel like its too much to learn too late in life.  
Looking at the genius's we have here Randall Aiken, Trace, Speedracer, Gil, Steve A etc makes me feel I will have to buy an amp from someone already built and try to learn over a long period of time.  
Thanks for your comment. I'm happy to help anybody.  
Steven.

4/2/2000 3:46 PM
Rob Whitaker

Steven,  

I completely understand how you feel. It seems overwhelming the amount of knowledge required to get into amp building. I will soon have a degree in electronics and I still have a hard time keeping up. But my advice to you is don't give up. Amp building is not a spectator sport, you can read all the stuff you want but until you break out out the soldering iron it's all theory. Mind you working with high voltage is *VERY* dangerous. I don't know your level of electronics knowledge, but I would suggest that you take some basic electronics classes at a local tech or community college. I know that sounds like work, but the classes only last a few months. And besides, what's a few months out of a lifetime. Gain an understanding of how components work and why they are in the circuit and that takes a lot of mystery out of it. I know that there are a lot of pros posting here talking in very deep detail about the makeup of certain components and I'm very grateful to them for doing so. These guys are exceptional. But don't be discouraged, that type of knowledge comes from experience. We all have to start somewhere. It's never too late if you're willing to learn. I'm 24 years old and there are people in my classes that are over twice my age and of different levels of...well comprehension.. if you know what I mean. Get in there and learn this stuff and in a little while you'll be designing amps yourself. Good luck

<<First Page<PrevPage 4 of 4