ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Conn Strobe Tuner

:
3/13/2000 7:15 PM
Rebel420
Conn Strobe Tuner
I was given a few years ago, a Conn Strobe Tuner that simply does not work. The lights light up ok, but the 'wheel' does not spin. I am assuming it is the motor, as the person who gave it to me SUPPOSEDLY had all the tubes tested, and had the amp looked at. What I need, is a source for the motor, I think it's a Hurst if iI remember correctly. ANY help on this would be greatly appreciated  

3/13/2000 8:04 PM
Carl Z

Rebel;  

Is this the old brown one that's comlpletely point to point wired? If I remember right there's a small polyprop torpedo cap rated at about 0.1uF that functions as a motor start cap. It's sort of tucked under the wheel motor and is a little tricky to get at. I'd put dollars to donuts that this is what's wrong here. You may need to recalibrate the tuner too. You'll really need a cap sub box for this to do it right. If you need more help Peterson strobes has great customer support and you can also get schematics for these units from them too. They're located in Alsip IL.  

Hope that helps.  

Carl Z

3/13/2000 8:28 PM
Rebel420

quote:
"Is this the old brown one that's comlpletely point to point wired?"

yea, definitely point to point, in fact, using the world famous mid-air soldering techniques *laughs*  
Supposedly the motor was tested as bad, but that was years ago, for me to swap that cap, it will be something that i'll be doing tonite to check that. But you said Peterson will be able to help if I would NEED a new motor or anything... Thank you again! I definitely want to get this thing going, even for more than the obvious cool factor, it was given to me about a month before my friend an his wife were killed by a drunk driver.  

3/13/2000 9:08 PM
MBSetzer

Try Strobojohn@aol.com. He is very well versed in the conn units. He is an Irishman living in europe but tours as a tech with some acts and comes to the US occasionally.

3/14/2000 6:21 AM
TubeMan
Search the web for "Conn" + "Strobotuner" + "manual"  
There's an outfit that sells the manuals and spares. The manuals include parts list.

3/14/2000 6:18 AM
rebel420

quote:
"If I remember right there's a small polyprop torpedo cap rated at about 0.1uF that functions as a motor start cap. It's sort of tucked under the wheel motor and is a little tricky to get at. I'd put dollars to donuts that this is what's wrong here"

Well man, where do you want the donuts sent to? Changed it a few minutes ago. now, it works like a champ... surprisingly, id DIDN"T need recalibrated.. let me rephrase that, it doesn't SEEM like it needs recalibrated, I will eventually replace all the caps in the unit as they look worse for wear, but she's functioning... thank you for the tip... ya saved me a lot here... I dont usually work on anyting much more complex than yoru typical tube amp *laffz*

3/14/2000 7:59 AM
Carl Z

Rebel;  

Feel free to send them to my shop address! Bavarian Creme's and Bearclaws will do nicely. :o)  
Hmmm....come to think of it this would be a great time for a shameless plug of my repair shop!  

All kidding aside, you'll be suprised how accurate these old things are, and how well they work. I actually prefer them to the hotrod digital tuners. They are really sweet units...and built like a tank too!  

Re: Calibration. This is a weird one. You need to calibrate it to a strange frequency. I think it's C# but don't hold me to it. The caps you need to mess with are the ones that are on the side of the enclosure mounted on terminal strips. Call Peterson just to be on the safe side.  

Regards;  
Carl Z  
Summit Amps <---- shameless plug  
http://www.geocities.com/summitamps  

P.S. Sorry to hear about your loss. It's a damn shame what drunk drivers get away with! But I'll stop now before I get my dander up on this subject

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>