ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: i need metal distortion schematics

3/6/2000 1:01 PM
Stephen Conner
email
Re: i need metal distortion schematics
Yeah, save yourself the hassle and buy the Boss Metal Zone. It'll probably still work out cheaper than building a tube rig.  

Steve C.

3/8/2000 12:13 AM
evan
with .o22 blocking caps, and(in order of appearance .68 - 1 and .68 uF bypass caps, what are the best plate voltages for a deadly, shredder tone?(assuming one stayed with 100 K Ohm plate resistors. Would swapping the first .022 with two .01s in parallel tighten up the crunch alittle? I also seen a mod which used an inserted common cathode/cathode follower added to the normal 800 array.

3/8/2000 7:15 PM
Trace
email

quote:
"with .o22 blocking caps, and(in order of appearance .68 - 1 and .68 uF bypass caps, what are the best plate voltages for a deadly, shredder tone"

I'm not sure I follow you on the .68 caps. I assume you mean .68uF's as bypass caps on the first two stages?  

The plate voltage depends on what power tubes you are running. If you are using EL34's then 420-450V is in the ballpark for most amps.  

quote:
"(assuming one stayed with 100 K Ohm plate resistors. Would swapping the first .022 with two .01s in parallel tighten up the crunch alittle?"

I think it would muddy up the amp when the amp is cranked up. They tend to sound great on amps with mild gain but amps that have a lot of gain tend to get muddy pretty quick with .1uF's. Just an opinion.  

quote:
"I also seen a mod which used an inserted common cathode/cathode follower added to the normal 800 array."

You can try it and see if it works for you. That's the only way to know for sure.  

Trace  

3/9/2000 2:04 PM
Stephen Conner
email
Shred
I found you get the best shred tone with .001 (1nF) blocking caps and no cathode bypass caps at all, but only in the stages that are actually clipping heavily. In the stages which run clean I used the standard 22nF blocking and 22uF bypass.  

I know the blocking caps seem very small but you need it especially if you use a humbucker guitar. The sound can be very thin at low gain, the cure for this is to add a switch that switches in another 22n blocking cap, i.e. a simple switchable tone stack.  

Plate voltage wise, the higher, the more deadly the tone. I got pretty mean results with 350 volts and 220k plate load resistors (increase the cathode resistor to 1.8k) I tried 350V with 100k plate loads and it sounded a bit crap.  

Steve C.

3/9/2000 9:01 PM
evan Re: i need metal distortion schematics
Thanks, Ill give that a try. I've found that having the tube driven effects loop kinda sweetens the tone also.

<<First Page<Prev Page 6 of 6