ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

metal thrashin' mad

3/3/2000 5:45 PM
Stephen Conner
email
metal thrashin' mad
Hi Math,  

I am an ex-metalhead and my favourite album was 'And Justice For All' Now Metallica-style chug tone isn't too difficult to get. Anything that allows you to have lots of gain, and remove the presence band while boosting the bass, will make you happy. It doesn't even need to have tubes in it! The only 'secret' is that you must be able to remove most of the bass before the signal hits the distortion stages. (You boost it back up afterwards)  

I used to get great results with a simple 2-tube preamp patched into a graphic EQ from an old stereo and then a solid-state power amp. Or you could do away with the tubes altogether and use a solid-state fuzzbox with a compressor patched before it.  

If you want something more traditional then you could copy any of the Marshall 'gain' amps and stick an EQ in the effects loop, maybe reducing the coupling caps in the early stages too. But I found that the tightness of a solid-state power amp helped the sound.  

You could spend ages chasing that 'Metallica sound' though, like most metal bands they used to run pretty complicated rigs with lots of different EQs etc. I don't know what they actually used back in the Justice days, except it probably had a lot of transistors in it.  

Steve C.

3/4/2000 4:54 AM
Corwin
email

actually, they used Mesa Mark 4s for AJFA, no transistors except in the graphic EQ circuit.

3/4/2000 11:58 PM
Dave M.
email

quote:
"actually, they used Mesa Mark 4s for AJFA, no transistors except in the graphic EQ circuit."

Mk.IVs or Mk.IIIs? I seem to remember them using Mk.IIIs a lot, but maybe that was before AJFA?  

curious,  
-Dave M.

3/5/2000 10:14 PM
Ryan
email

I thought they were all about Mark IIC+'s until the Black Album when they switched to Mark IV's, then for Load to currently they're using triaxis / strategy 500's (James Hetfeild has (3) 21 space Mesa racks filled with crap for tour though)  

My $.02  
-Ryan

3/6/2000 1:08 PM
Stephen Conner
email

I always wondered what amps Metallica used. I thought their best guitar sounds ever were on Justice - unfortunately some of their most boring songwriting too. Now if they had only got Fleming Rasmussen to produce Master of Puppets as well.  

Not that I care now of course, I just listen to trad jazz, honest.  

BTW - what's a Strategy 500?  

Steve C.

3/6/2000 2:17 PM
Trace
email

Did you guys dig the guitar tones on the "black" album?  

Trace

3/6/2000 4:30 PM
Ryan
email

The tones on the black album were my fav by far. BTW Steve, the Strategy 500 is a Mesa Stereo power amp that puts out 250 watts per side. I used to have a Strategy 400 with the switch-track stuff, definately a rippn' amp. About the black album, I believe that they had their Mark IV's setup to be a preamp only (Hetfield & Hammet). To my knowledge the setup for that recording was something like this: EMG 81 + 85 equiped guitars -> TC chorus unit -> 31 band parametric EQ -> Mesa MK IV -> 2nd 31 band EQ (furmans if I remember correctly) -> (2) Mesa Strategy 500's -> 8 Marshall 4x12's w/ greenbacks. For live playing, I read that they had these special roadcase that the cabs stayed in the whole time and the mics were permenantly installed inside the road cases so the guitar sound was 100% the same every time.  

Peace,  
-Ryan

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 6 Next> Last Page>>